Did you save money on your electric car insurance?

Five years ago insurance for electric vehicle was not the easiest service to find but there have been major changes of late. What kind of savings have you experienced when insuring your electric car compared to more traditional fuel powered vehicles?

Higher auto insurance rates. I researched insurance premiums for gas and electric versions of the same cars and found that car insurance for electric vehicles costs more in all cases, I think these cars’ higher values and repair costs are to blame. I’m still looking in this forum for car insurance quotes for electric car and find the best deals and didnt find anything interesting, can you help ?

Hi Janna

I think it is time for me to approach a few insurance companies and partner up with them to get more information on the forum about insurance quotes, etc.

Regards,

Mark

Look no further I am about to launch a Electric Car scheme for one of my insurance brokers but UK only, PM me to let me know how I can help further.

[quote=EvForum;29656]Hi Janna

I think it is time for me to approach a few insurance companies and partner up with them to get more information on the forum about insurance quotes, etc.

Regards,

Mark[/quote]

Yeah that would be a great idea

I think it will be the same for the UK

Surely there will be more competition for electric car insurance in the future?

What you mean by competition ?

I think the lack of competition allows insurance companies to charge higher premiums on EVs at the moment. However when the industry is more developed and more insurance companies join the party then premiums must come down surely?

Ok I see, I dont really know, was it your personal opinion or you are sure about it? because there must be alot of insurance companies that cover EVs and all of them are applying hight rates…

one of the main problems is personal injury claims, because electric vehicle don’t make a noise people step out in front of them and whilst this might not be the drivers fault in the UK you just have to prove 1% negligence and the motor insurer is liable and even if the driver isn’t at fault it costs thousands to defend the claims.
I would suggest a forward facing camera for any motorist, they only cost a few quid and are easy to install, look for one with a good battery life or it could drain your car battery!

This post might interest you:-

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/electric-vehicle-chat/10019-lack-noise-electric-cars-potential-killer.html

The idea that the noise of a traditional car engine is a warning may not be accurate.