Electric Motorcycle, Sidecar= milage extender?

Was out today and saw a motorcycle with a sidecar… a sadly lesser seen cycle accessory! And this got me thinking… If you were to convert a older style motorcycle to an EV, could a sidecar be used for battery storage? Or as a additional battery bank aka milage extender? If a bank of batteries were installed in the sidecar in parrell with the prexisting bikes power system, could this extend its abilty to drive long distances? Maybe even retain its passanger ability! Thoughts?!

You will definitely increase the amps of the battery bank but you increase the weight the motor has to move thereby increasing the amps required to move such weight. It is a good idea.

Also don’t forget aerodynamics of the side car which adds wind reflection increasing a larger mass to be moved through space.

Key thing to do is reduce the weight as much as possible. Make the sidecar detachable so you can test with and without the side car battery bank. :smiley:

It seems feasbile though.

[quote=einstein;20981]You will definitely increase the amps of the battery bank but you increase the weight the motor has to move thereby increasing the amps required to move such weight. It is a good idea.

Also don’t forget aerodynamics of the side car which adds wind reflection increasing a larger mass to be moved through space.

Key thing to do is reduce the weight as much as possible. Make the sidecar detachable so you can test with and without the side car battery bank. :smiley:

It seems feasbile though.[/quote]

Could a lesser powerful electric motor be placed on the sidecar wheel (hub motor?) To reduce stress on the bikes original setup? Yes this would decrease said extension ability, but probable not by much… I’ve seen electric motorcycles with EMENSE sidebags to house some batteries… this sounds, well more attractive!

I agree with you on the attractiveness :smiley:

IMO: Keep in mind: in the EV industry the less weight you have the better. Two motors will provide more output performance but at the cost of a higher battery drain. If you are looking to go long distance I would use one motor. If you are looking for performance then I would use two motors. The drain for a single motor would be little less than using two.

It is up to you which one you want: distance versus performance.

Did you ever learn more about sidecar as battery-hauler? I added a sidecar to my V-star this year …FYI it is quite beautiful! I hated the fat-frog look of tricycles, but I developed hip trouble & need that third wheel for safety (after 40 years riding - yeah, I’m an older gal) No desire for passengers, i haul my art supplies and stuff. But there is plenty of room for the batteries and would love to convert the bike to electric. I don’t really like more than 60mph on cross-countries anyway, but to lose the noise would thrill me. Hubby and I are eco-conscious, and with retirement, having time to work on conversions this winter seems like a fun project. This forum doesn’t seem to show much encouragement, but if you hear of someone doing this, could you post? thanks…

I would be interested to hear if anyone has tried using a side car as an additional battery storage unit. Great idea!