Electric mini-bike

Hey guys, Love this site! I have found a LOT of useful information! I am in the designing stages of building an electric mini-bike from the ground up. I already have 2 concept designs depending on the amount of room needed to house the equipment. My goal is simple… A two wheeled mini-bike with a 10-20 mile range that’ll cap out around 40mph. I’ve already got a number of components picked out, but I am having a hard time finding information about the electric motors. Don’t get me wrong, I found several incredible motors that claim to reach 75+ mph and cost a beautiful $800… and I’ve found several that are perfect for the 20mph range on a razor for about $80, but I am having a hard time finding something in the 40mph range. Any info or resources you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

what size is this bike? How much do you weigh? What voltage are you thinking? How many batteries? what kind? What gear ratio? This all plays into it.

Check out http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/type/MTCY and look around for motorcycles. Or search for minibikes as well. See what others have used.

If you’re basically making a small motorcycle, you don’t need an $800 motor. There’s plenty out there that would work just fine.

Hell, if you look around like I did, you can get a great motor for under $300 that is brand new.