E4 code 81 and sparking/arcing sound

My 2011 E4 with an RFF motor was working great. Came back from vacation and it will not move forward or back. ‘81’ and the wrench are displayed when you step on the pedal and it sounds as if wires are arcing - especially if I manually roll the car at the same time.

81 lists as speed sensor error. Speed is sensed by the magnet on the back of the motor. Check your wiring connections. maybe one is corroded

Also brushes are stuck @Old_Houseboater

You did not say how long your vacation was?
This sounds like it is showing symptoms of stuck brushes or dirty comms. It can happen if you let it sit for winter but I’ve never heard it happening in a couple week (guessing) vacation.

I have no idea why it would be throwing a -81 because of it.

Is it possible your car was used without you knowing? (running Ferris Buellers’ Day Off in my head)

The vacation was 10 days, but it was used by our son during that time (I like the Ferris reference here). I’ll pull the motor this weekend and inspect the brushes and comma. I also have the original motor I can test with at that point.

If it’s an R$F motor, you can probably just pop the vent band around the end of the motor and take a peek without uninstalling the motor.

2 Likes

Excellent. It is indeed.

I popped the vent band off and sure enough, the wire on one of the brushes was no longer connected. I have no idea how it could have come off right at the brush, but it did. Now to contact RFF - the motor is about 14 months old.

@KeyWestMaker

I would skip calling R$F unless it’s a warranty issue as they don’t build the motors (or their chargers) That motor is actually a rebadged D&D.

If that goes nowhere, get in touch with Rodney. @Old_Houseboater . He rebuilds
GEM motors as a retirement gig and does it very well. Maybe he can help you out. He’s in Tavares, FL.

rodneyadiehl@aol.com 2 day turn around on most repairs