Dead... something?

I’ve got a 2002 that just died while some friends were at the cabin on a ride. 76V on the battery pack so it has juice, no error codes. With the key on and pedal pressed there’s a buzzy whine, but that’s it.

Did I fry my motor?

Sounds mechanical. Anything else would throw a code.
Does speedometer go up?

Check all battery connections.

[quote=Inwo;31403]Sounds mechanical. Anything else would throw a code.
Does speedometer go up?[/quote]

No, the speedo didn’t move off 0. I’ve got a video of it here -

bad noises :hurt:

If the motor is gone it would be best if you stopped trying it. You will take out your controller with it and that costs more than a motor.

My voltmeter is tapped in at the controller so I have 76V there. If it were a battery connection somewhere I’d think that wouldn’t be the case, correct? At any rate, the battery connection all look and feel good.

Sounds like good advice. Ok, so how do I test the motor and anyone have any advice on towing this thing 1 mile?

hook your volt meter up to the output of the controller or input of the motor , is there voltage there ?

Ohm the motor. Unhook wires first

Field 1.5 to 1.6 ohms Armature about ,5 ohms

That’s where my voltmeter is tapped in - specifically the output of the controller.

I have heard burnt coms act like that. Before this problem arose did you lug the motor or stall it in any way with power still being applied for any amount of time? One suggestion. I know you have the vehicle in neutral but with EV’s it is good practice to have the drive tires off the ground when working on the car just in case the motor decides to run.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31439]Ohm the motor. Unhook wires first

Field 1.5 to 1.6 ohms Armature about ,5 ohms[/quote]

I’ll try that - any more specific instructions on exactly how to do that?

Disconnect 4 wires from motor.
Check from A to A and F to F
Also check megohms from each to frame.

The way I test motor without risking control, is connect A and F to 12v with jumper cables. Have drive wheels off ground. And motor wires disconnected.

Ok, this doesn’t look promising -

A-A wavers between 0.1 and 0.0
F-F is 1.2

Looks like I have a near or intermittent short on the armature side.

So, can anyone recommend a good 10-12hp motor?
:wink: