Connections at bottom of controller

Pulled my controller to send to R4F after motor upgrade and I noticed the very bottom connections all appear to be negative grounding plugs.
Just out of curiosity, does it really matter if the plugs are connected to the same locations? Looking at the wiring diagram it seems to suggest that it does, but it is just DC ground right? So why would it matter?

What are you observing to classify these as Negative Grounding Lugs?
Because they are all black wires?

In reality, they are not what you think they are.

If you look at the labels you will see they describe where they are supposed to go.
I will explain- (said in my head with a thick spanish accent)

Controller A1
Controller A2
Controller F1
Controller F2

Yes- it sorta matters where they go. If you mix up two, the car will run backwards.

Yep, I know I am baiting here, but also trying to learn.
The black wires were one thing, but it looked like the lugs just go to the case? Would love to pop one open and see. Maybe I was wrong about them terminating on the case.
The wiring diagram says there is a ‘field’ between F1 and F2. so is F1 and F2 coming from specific points or magnets on the the motor and, as you say, if the controller thinks the field is reversed, the car will run in reverse?

I know how you can tell…
Commect #1 to #4 then #4 to 2, and finally 2 to3 and 3 to 1 and then to the frame.
Turn on the cart, drop the hand brake, stomp the accelerator and dump a tall can of bud light on rhe controller.

Yes. There are two pairs of Field Coils mounted radially around inside the case of the motor. These are excited by the smaller wires fed from the controller and become the other half of the magnetic field that the rotating assembly pulls and pushes on as it spins around. Swapping them would make the motor spin the other direction.

The bigger wires feed the armature. Swapping these two wires will also reverse the direction on the motor.

In this case, Two wrongs actually make a right? It could also open up a tear in space time and dogs and cats will start sleeping together.

1 Like

Wouldn’t miller light be better?

Im certainly no electronic whizz and I don’t have the answer to your question. However I would recommend labeling the wires and putting them back exactly where they came from. It might save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Miller = Swill beer…

Have you not read the label?