Connecting a 72v charger

2002 e2 GEM has a bad Q charger, I want to connect a 72V removeable Schumacher Charger but not sure which leads to connect to.

Can anyone Help?..Thanks

Both are 72V chargers with one + and one - lead so wouldn’t you just connect them to the same points where the old charger attached? Or am I missing something?

Al

the Q charger is wired direct onboard, which is dead. Correct, the is a + & - lead…but there are 6 batteries = 12 posts…to which do I connect.

The batteries are wired in series so the easy answer is the + post of the last battery and the - post of the first battery. Now you just have to locate the first and last battery in the series. Visually you should be able to trace the + lead from one battery to the - lead of the next. If you take a voltmeter and start at one end, moving the + lead of the voltmeter, you’ll eventually get to a reading of 72V across the first and last terminals.

Al

On the 2002 models, there’s 2 batteries in front and 4 under the seat. It’s not immediately obvious which one has the positive and negative leads that feed the motor controller so it’s best to do the work under the dash. Remove the top dash, held with 2 screws below the front of the windshield and Velcro strips. You may have to remove the bottom half of the dash too. It’s held by 3 self-tapping screws into the dash support frame.

The positive lead from the charger goes to the fusible link under the dash where the positive lead from the last battery in the string connects. I’d connect to the contactor-end of the fusible link. The negative goes to the negative input lug on the motor controller. These orange wires should have tags on them identifying them as B+ and B- (I think).

As you’ll be working around high voltages and currents, open the safety disconnect switch under the seat or dashboard (depending on year) before beginning any electrical work. This switch is between the 3rd and 4th battery in the string as per SAE directives - not at the positive end of the string as many would suppose.

[quote=bob.peloquin;17514]On the 2002 models, there’s 2 batteries in front and 4 under the seat. It’s not immediately obvious which one has the positive and negative leads that feed the motor controller so it’s best to do the work under the dash. Remove the top dash, held with 2 screws below the front of the windshield and Velcro strips. You may have to remove the bottom half of the dash too. It’s held by 3 self-tapping screws into the dash support frame.

The positive lead from the charger goes to the fusible link under the dash where the positive lead from the last battery in the string connects. I’d connect to the contactor-end of the fusible link. The negative goes to the negative input lug on the motor controller. These orange wires should have tags on them identifying them as B+ and B- (I think).

As you’ll be working around high voltages and currents, open the safety disconnect switch under the seat or dashboard (depending on year) before beginning any electrical work. This switch is between the 3rd and 4th battery in the string as per SAE directives - not at the positive end of the string as many would suppose.[/quote]

I believe I’ve found the route…the upper battery in front compartment
positive and the negative on the first battery under seat drivers side.
Going to hook up the charger in the morning hoping I’ve got it correct.

Disconnect switch in the active position.

Thanks for your reply.

Those Delta-Q charger sure are junk. Please be sure that your new charger is rated for the same battery type already in the GEM. If not, damage to the batteries may result. Older ferro-resonant type chargers are not compatible with modern GEL or AGM batteries.

Daniel