Conception to Completion

Here is my latest set of drawings, I redid the design making the compartment smaller so i can redistribute the weight more properly and so i can make the wheels a bit smaller than a 48" diameter from the previous model. Again for the size reference thats the foot print of the Audi Q7

the current model for size reference is now 36" in diameter.

I’m still trying to decide what the best course of action is for triangulating the frame, i’m really debating on doing so on the interior of the vehicle so that i wont need to do it on the exterior shell, but i was also thinking about just adding it into the construction of the vehicle (a small triangle peice that fits in each of the inner corners).

As far as those shallow cylindars, those are where i have a project of mine for where i’ll get my power from. and those tubes out the sides so far is where i’ll have both cargo packs and spare parts.

I’m designing this vehicle to match up against long distance desert racers so it can easily go head to head with them and yet still be all electric.

FEUS

A few more details about the proposed use of this vehicle would be helpful. What kind of top speed are you looking for? Total weight(frame looks overkill to me)? How offroad do you want to be able to go?

One thing people miss when thinking off road is high center. One goes over a sharp bump and the frame or whatever gets caught on the bump between the wheels.

If you are thinking of larger than normal passenger car tires, you may want to consider tractor tires (sub 40mph) or semi tires (available in light offroad tread). Once you have an idea of speed/load/tread you may want to price tires and then design from there rather than designing for a particular size. Just like anything else the more tires sold of a particular size the cheaper they get. Odd sized tires can get spendy in a hurry.

Lazlow

[QUOTE=Lazlow;1085]FEUS

A few more details about the proposed use of this vehicle would be helpful. What kind of top speed are you looking for? Total weight(frame looks overkill to me)? How offroad do you want to be able to go?

One thing people miss when thinking off road is high center. One goes over a sharp bump and the frame or whatever gets caught on the bump between the wheels.

If you are thinking of larger than normal passenger car tires, you may want to consider tractor tires (sub 40mph) or semi tires (available in light offroad tread). Once you have an idea of speed/load/tread you may want to price tires and then design from there rather than designing for a particular size. Just like anything else the more tires sold of a particular size the cheaper they get. Odd sized tires can get spendy in a hurry.

Lazlow[/QUOTE]

as for the purpose of the vehicle… i would like to be able to take it out for a normal drive somewhere, then just if i need to take it off road and have it behave in a comfortably drivable manner. I want it to be comfortable and be able to take basic abuse since it will have a VERY VERY long driving range.

the frame will be build out of composits so it really wont be all that heavy but it will be very stiff… the only parts that will be metal will be parts of the suspension and the supports for the wheel hubs.

i’m not sure about the top speed yet because i’m trying to get an idea of the generators i’ll need and the sizes/weight of them. from there i can decide what i’ll be at. same with the wheel motors.

as far as how offroad i want to go… well i would like to be able to go on off road paths no problem (i’m not concerned about rock climbing) i just want to be able to go through things like sand, gravel, and rocky areas (rocks about 6x6 or so…)

for those tires, i’m thinking about making my own tires out of urethane and making my own tread patern for an assortment of uses… i’ll also have a rack on the back of the vehicle for 2 spares. i’m also going to talk to a friend that deals with some rubberized products.

In an attempt to make it NOT look like a penis lol i’m going to start working on the shell of the vehicle more and get a better idea out there for how the body will start to take form.

Loose sand would be the major problem. For the most part the rest of it you can use a tall thin tire, efficient on any surface it does not “cut” through. Soft sand requires almost a balloon tire to let one “float” across the sand. Unfortunately balloon tires are very inefficient on any surface that they are not required on, any hard surface. What I have seen done to get around this problem is to essentially run three tires per wheel. Inner and outer tires are essential a balloon type tire. The center tire is a “normal” street tread tire, that is about 1to 1.5 inches taller than the other two tires. Driving down a hard surface road only the center tire ever touches the ground so the only losses are dead weight and air drag. On softer surfaces the center tire “cuts” through the surface until the inner and outer tires “hit” the surface and then the “floating” action of their nature takes over. It also gives one some resistance to blowouts. Some of the Saabs used to run dual tires on each wheel for better traction. They had less surface area in contact with the road but better traction than a single tire(something about continuous surfaces not being able to adapt to road conditions as well).

This gets complicated in a hurry but it is still interesting: http://www.arsgeek.com/?m=20070512

[QUOTE=Lazlow;1088]Loose sand would be the major problem. For the most part the rest of it you can use a tall thin tire, efficient on any surface it does not “cut” through. Soft sand requires almost a balloon tire to let one “float” across the sand. Unfortunately balloon tires are very inefficient on any surface that they are not required on, any hard surface. What I have seen done to get around this problem is to essentially run three tires per wheel. Inner and outer tires are essential a balloon type tire. The center tire is a “normal” street tread tire, that is about 1to 1.5 inches taller than the other two tires. Driving down a hard surface road only the center tire ever touches the ground so the only losses are dead weight and air drag. On softer surfaces the center tire “cuts” through the surface until the inner and outer tires “hit” the surface and then the “floating” action of their nature takes over. It also gives one some resistance to blowouts. Some of the Saabs used to run dual tires on each wheel for better traction. They had less surface area in contact with the road but better traction than a single tire(something about continuous surfaces not being able to adapt to road conditions as well).[/QUOTE]

yup, just like a standard high performance street tire having room for water traction and still lots of contact patch for tarmac

I’m holding off on actually designing more until i get a definate answer about generators from a supplier about weight and size of the ones i have picked out… not to mention i have to wait on suspension design till i can find a set of wheel motors that will work correctly for my setup and a company that gives me some info…:rolleyes:

And i thought simply converting a car to electric was ambitious! :eek: It will be so neat to see this through all of it’s design phases… What controller are you planning on using?

[QUOTE=Lectrol;1108]And i thought simply converting a car to electric was ambitious! :eek: It will be so neat to see this through all of it’s design phases… What controller are you planning on using?[/QUOTE]

honestly i’m not really sure… i might almost just be better off making my own despite the all the work needed to complete something like this. :rolleyes:

i’m dealing with a new power system only using 3-4 batteries (standard ones) and some extra power will be comming from a set of solar cells along the roof line as well.

the whole structure of the car will be made of composites, and i’m thinking of redesigning a wheel structure to be closer to michlins airless wheel system but in a modified setup (more approperate design than what i currently have thought up)

for the suspension i’ll be doing an all onboard system so that it will keep debris out of vital parts. i’m going to try to keep everything vital to driving components built into the vehicle so no exterior dirt/debris gets into it actually.

Nice penis you drew there… lol. You can call it the Penetrator. Then if it catches on an extended version could be the Deep Penetrator. :wink:

Feus, when you’re ready to start playing around with different structure fab methods cruise on over…
http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=327

Cheers

[QUOTE=inSANe DIEGO;1137]Nice penis you drew there… lol. You can call it the Penetrator. Then if it catches on an extended version could be the Deep Penetrator. :wink:

Feus, when you’re ready to start playing around with different structure fab methods cruise on over…
http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=327

Cheers[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

I’d call it the DP1 but another car has that title already lmao

nah but seriously i think i’m going to call it the rEVolution for numerous reasons.