Changing rack boot on the car 2008 Gem

How do you stretch the big end over the knobs?
Is it just me or is it a battle? Little room to maneuver, hard to see, and greasy.

The small end was easy. I pushed a tapered punch bigger then the rod. Then pushed the punch out with the blunt end of tie rod.

If I was doing it again, which I am, I would have a sheet metal or wire ring expanding the big end before sliding it on.

Wait a day! All it takes. Today I was building a tool to expand the boot. I stretched it so many times, making the tool, that it slid right on. :slight_smile:

I was going to suggest just soaking the boot in a bucket of really hot water (not boiling - that might deform it) for a few minutes. Should stretch right over after that.

Sorry if I’m off base here but the way I replace my rack boots on my 2002 was just remove the tie-rod ends and the boot slides right on the rack. Zip tie boots at each end.

What am I missing ?

The first one I had grease all over. Couldn’t get tools near it. Couldn’t see it with my hand on it.
The passenger side was easy. If I started with that one, it would have went better. Raising the car another foot helped too.
Rather than look for a tie rod puller, it removed the arm extension. Very easy.
Putting the big boot end on was still the most difficult part of bearing replacement.

Hey here is TIP for taking the tie rods off the spindle. Take the nut and un screw it untill the nut is flush with the top of the threads on the tie rod end. Hit the nut/Threads flush and it will pop right out. No tie rod end puller needed. Some times I place a 1-2 lb sledge hammer on tie rod end and then use a hammer to strike the small 1-2lb sledge hammer. This save the threads on the tie rod end cause the small hammer takes the sideways blow of the hammer your swinging and transfers it to the small sledge hammer