Bluetooth Soundbar Installation Help

I’m a handy guy, but not very familiar with automotive electrical or AV wiring.

I’ve got a 2014 Gem e4s and I’d like to install one of the Wetsounds Bluetooth Sound bars.

Two questions…

1. to mount it to the underside of the roof, I assume I can drill through the roof and use some kind of silicon or gasket to keep it water tight? Any advice on this? These are pretty heavy so I don’t want to damage anything.

2. Once I route the wires from the soundbar through the A pillar down to the area under the dash, where do I tie this in? The instructions say:

“If installing on an electric vehicle, wire the Negative (Black) wire to the Ground on
the DC-DC Converter and the Positive (Red) wire to the Positive (+) post on the DC-DC
Converter”

Is there a place to tie in under my dash? Or do I need to route into the hood area? I see the controller and the charger under it. I think the DC-DC Converter is part of the charger, right? Is that where I would connect? Or is there somewhere to connect by the PDSM thing? It looks like it has fuse F3 and F10 for a radio already. F3 is 1A for “Radio Switch” and F10 is 10a for Radio Memory/Power. If I’m connecting at the PDSM…how do you connect a red and black wire from the sound bar to that?

Thanks for the help…

Robert

Thanks for the help.

How much power does the soundbar draw?

F3 and F10 are 10 Amp fuses.
10A at 12V = only 120W.

You might have to add a battery or run wiring from a single battery from the pack.

“The STEALTH-6 ULTRA HD Soundbar is a 6 speaker-200 watt unit with 4 full range 3 inch drivers and two 1 inch titanium tweeters. Now with an ALL-NEW RF Wireless Remote with steering wheel cradle, allowing control over Volume, Track, Play/Pause. (Please note the remote does not control power on/off). The STEALTH ULTRA HD Soundbar Series is true High Performance plug and play stealth audio system!”

It also comes with its own 15amp in line fuse.

Run it direct or with it’s own relay to a battery. I don’t think think the PSDM can take that load.

Does that mean I need to buy another DC-DC converter? If I tie directly into any one of the batteries (that are all hooked together) won’t I be getting 72v?

If you go from the + and - terminals of the same battery, you will only get 12V.

On a 2014, the DCDC converter is part of the DeltaQ charger.

I installed a Wetsounds Stealth bar on my E4.
It was a 2002 E825. I installed it on the round aluminum roof hoops. I drilled and tapped threads into the hoops and then threaded the bolts directly into the hoops.

They have better ways to install a threaded insets into the hoops. I didn’t know about these when I did my install. They are called Riv-Nuts

1 Like

jrjava

Run it direct or with it’s own relay to a battery. I don’t think think the PSDM can take that load.

You actually suggested this? Were you thinking a dedicated/stand alone battery? If so, I’ll let it go.
But then there was this-

If you go from the + and - terminals of the same battery, you will only get 12V.

Which suggests you want him to tap one of the batteries from his pack?
I’m fairly sure this is not advisable practice.

@bobrim - if you have a concern about too much draw on the car system/psdm you can install another DC Converter (probably easier)
or a dedicated battery just for accessories (more complex). You’d also need to rig up a dedicated charger and tap it into the harness up at the power plug to power that too.

BTW I would NOT run a Stealth 10 in a Gem car. This is my Honest Opinion. I think the Wetsounds Stuff is awesome. But it’s not set up for a Gem car. I’ll explain. The stealth was designed and tuned for a Noisy & loud UTV or ATV and also ment to be heard while the users are wearing a Helmit. And for that application I don’t think you can buy a better sound bar.

But in the Gem I found that I needed a Sub to balance the sound. It was VERY high In the end after I added a Sub it sounded great but for fun mellow volume (gem car driving speeds) I thought it was overkill. And Expensive and lots of work. After doing like 5-6 systems in various gems I found a $150 sony High powerd Bluetooth Head unit with a pair of automotive speakers sounded as good if not better (disclaimer) the Stealth is gonna BLOW away what I just described at super high volume’s but from volume levels 1-6 the Headunit with automotive speakers sounds just great and has a bit of bass as well.

And last but not Least! I will put my current system up against most anything. This JBL portable battery powerd boom box is the bomb. It straps in to the rear passenger seat and can come with you or stay put. Has a light show and lots of Bass. It installs in seconds, and is under $300. Trust me you will not regret it. We have showed up to a party and brought this in with us and Instant Party

JBL PartyBox 100 - High Power Portable Wireless Bluetooth Party Speaker

2 Likes

Grant-
How did you handle power in the installed versions?

1. Did you find the Surepower could handle the draw?
  2. Did you install a dedicated DC Converter?
  3. Run a dedicated 12v battery and charger?

I also recall you like extra lighting too
(light bars, undercar, incab, holiday).

Party?!?!?! Got a place to plug in a blender?

Meh. I don’t think it’s a big deal. Really depends how loud and how long. Sure, you run the batteries down to 40% (minimum) yeah, bad idea.

Plus, you’re still dead to me.
:horse:

just hook it up to one one of the 10a fuses, it should be fine.

Just hook it up to one one of the 10a fuses, it should be fine.

That’s the way I was leaning too.

So…if I want to “hook to one of the 10a fuses”…how do I do that? Is there a wiring harness labeled “F10” for the F10 fuse?

Thank you all for the info…this is so helpful

You must have missed that I sent you a map?
Or maybe you didn’t understand what this was?
Find the connections on the PSDM. (red oval)
If you want the radio to shut off when you shut off the key use S2 or S3
If you want it to play when your key is off use S6.

Ok…Thank you… I see now that those are “spade connections” so I assume I connect the red wire there. Is there anywhere in particular I should connect the negative wire?

Sorry I seem so dense.