Bearings noise not wheel tho

Just put new wheels bearings but have still noise that sound like a bad bearings any ideas plz

I’ll take “Bad Bearings” for $100 Alex.

Front/back?
Figure out which wheel it is coming from. Jack up one corner at a time and give it a spin.

When you get to the front if you jack up so both are off the ground you will see one wheel going forward and the other wheel going backwards. That is the differential, It may make a bit of vibration by nature but that is not what you are after. Listen and feel for wheel bearing noise, but also check your CV joints.

Put the wheels in a full lock turn and spin the tire by hand. Is the noise worse?

Feel for noise? Nice superpower you have there. Mine is making bacon vanish…

:wink:

it does sound strange but I completely understood what he was talking about. Haven’t you ever felt the sound of the road through the steering wheel of a vehicle? :slight_smile:

No, I haven’t. The texture, though, that I have felt up …

…Through the steering wheel.

lots of sounds come from vibrations and visa versa.

I’ve used long metal screwdrivers and even just a long wooden dowel to hear where something is coming from. Like a stethoscope you put one end on the expected noise maker and an ear against the other. Check different locations and sides to narrow it down.

Does not compute…

Are you saying you are trapping on something with the screwdriver and hearing the difference in sound of the tapping?

nope, stethoscope like and listening for the noises. Like lifter noises, bearing problems in the alternator or power steering pump, etc. In the case of this thread, with the car lifted and blocked well, someone can run the power/speed gently and someone else can lay in front with a long screwdriver putting the metal part on the transmission case at the U joints(each side) and then move out near the tires and carefully listen to the sounds them make there.

Could be tough unloaded though. My brother, with his Beamer, has resorted to putting USB microphones at different places under his car to find a strange wheel bearing issue. I’ve talked with mechanics who will have someone else drive while they sit in the back seat and listen from different sides of the car…

Does not compute…

OMG! You have never used the rod trick? It is a fantastic diagnostic tool.
It’s like opening the car hood on an orchestra and being able to isolate just the violin, then the flute, and over to the tuba.

Hold the dowell tight and put your thumb knuckle over the end. Then hold your knuckle up to your ear and press it up to your ear and close off your earlobe with your knuckle.

Then move the stick around to various points of your noisy item and instead of the whole orchestra you can hear a bearing, or injector, or rocker assembly ticking more than normal.

You can also use a long extension from a socket kit, a long screwdriver, or whatevey you have that is solid. Standard disclaimer applies for working around spinning objects that can grab loose clothing or Mr T gold chains hanging from your neck.

For hard to find noises you can also use a length of small hose to locate puffs if an exhaust leak but be careful not to blow out your eardrum.

1 Like

So in both cases you are listening for noise, with your ears or microphones. I’m not seeing how this is feeling a sound, at least not the way you are describing it.

Superpowers?

turn on your home stereo sometime and play something then put your hands on the speakers and you will “feel the sound”… Our ears work by sensing vibrations and there are many ways we can use or sense of touch to feel those vibrations either at the source or secondary objects vibrating because of impacts with sound waves caused by the source vibrations. Not really a superpower.

I don’t own a stereo. Any other suggestions?

Btw, that rod trick sounds (no pun intended) super dangerous.

Ok, How about this…
Put your phone on silent(vibrate) then put it in your pocket and have someone call you.

1. You hear the buzz-buzz if the room is quiet.
  2. I bet you can also tell what pocket the phone is in.
  3. Enjoy the buzz-buzz

Totally related to the original post, I have a front wheel bearing going out on my truck. Since it is such a big job I have been ignoring it but keeping an ear on it. I can hear it being transmitted into the cab, and can also feel it through my feet at the exact same frequency.

Didn’t hear anything. Anything else I can try?

Shake your head back and forth a bit and you should hear and feel something loose. LOL

1 Like

Nothing. Did I ever mention I’ve lost about 85% of my hearing from working in marine engine rooms?

no but what’s funny is that your words sounded much louder while reading your statement.

Wow- this one went off the rails didn’t it?

1 Like

But how did they feel?