Auto/manual trans

As of late I have desided to go EV with my latest project 59 American SW. It’s light and has plenty of room for batteries and all the components. I would like to go auto. And the question is since the dc motor idles at 0 rpm can I not use a torque converter. I have a 904 trans and figured I could machine a hub that engages the fluid pump and the input shaft. the Stator that holds the Torque converter would not be used. My question is does anyone make this type of hub or do I need to machine one. Has anyone attempted this?

[QUOTE=WARRENB;10327]As of late I have desided to go EV with my latest project 59 American SW. It’s light and has plenty of room for batteries and all the components. I would like to go auto. And the question is since the dc motor idles at 0 rpm can I not use a torque converter. I have a 904 trans and figured I could machine a hub that engages the fluid pump and the input shaft. the Stator that holds the Torque converter would not be used. My question is does anyone make this type of hub or do I need to machine one. Has anyone attempted this?[/QUOTE]
Hi, I did a quick Google on your idea - and found a number of links right on page 1 - so the first I opened - a first person story on how they did it, in a blog post under the title: “How I Used an Automatic Transmission in an EV”; dated “THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2009” on a website civicity dot blogspot dot com.

There is a Technical discussion by a builder and kit provider CANEV at canev dot com under the FAQ.

Here is an article of help: “Top 7 Issues for an Electric Car Conversion” I shrunk the URL for easy access: http:// + bit.ly/top-7-issues

Also - with some web searching for EV Conversion companies - you will finally find a company that modifies the Torque Converter for EV Conversion Applications - and maybe the motor controller with an ‘idle’ mode.

Hope these ideas help enough to go forward!

Robert Weekley

PS: What is a “59 American SW”

[QUOTE=myelectricfly;10513]Hi, I did a quick Google on your idea - and found a number of links right on page 1 - so the first I opened - a first person story on how they did it, in a blog post under the title: “How I Used an Automatic Transmission in an EV”; dated “THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2009” on a website civicity dot blogspot dot com.

There is a Technical discussion by a builder and kit provider CANEV at canev dot com under the FAQ.

Here is an article of help: “Top 7 Issues for an Electric Car Conversion” I shrunk the URL for easy access: http:// + bit.ly/top-7-issues

Also - with some web searching for EV Conversion companies - you will finally find a company that modifies the Torque Converter for EV Conversion Applications - and maybe the motor controller with an ‘idle’ mode.

Hope these ideas help enough to go forward!

Robert Weekley

PS: What is a “59 American SW”[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info I will check it out. I have been a trany guy for years and since I may be able to delete the converter then also the cooler lines since the converter is what builds the heat. On the 59 Rambler American. I thought I’d never by an old car like this I’m a dye hard mustle car guy. But a friend had this and I could not pas it up. To me it looks like a 55 Chevy Nomad but smaller. I’m doing a ground up and just got the frot suspension installed all 100 + parts. no ball joint ar king pins. Trunions bearings and alot of nuts and bolts, it’s worked for 53 years so I guess it will for another. Long story shortened it was produced by Nash as a Rambler model from 1950 to 55. Then it was reintroduced with minor changed by AMC in 58 thru 60. I think this is the first and last time any company did this without major changes anyways it sold like hot cakes. Mine is a very rare Station Wagon 2 door and I found a Nash hood that has the hoodscoop. It will be totally different. If I can attach a photo I will. It was parked in the back of a friends shop and in now in pieces so I will send a photo of what it should look like but mine with be painted cast iron grey. Thanks for asking