Are EV batteries based on quantum physics the future?

The following assumption may be very wide of the mark but it should start an interesting conversation:-

The simple idea behind quantum physics is the phenomenon whereby one atom/particle for example can exist in two different forms at the same time. While the mechanics of quantum physics are complicated to say the least, does this offer the ability to create batteries with double the power of traditional products? Does it also offer the potential to discharge batteries at “twice the normal speed”?

Perhaps somebody could enlighten us on their thoughts?

WOW, you have DEEP thoughts!!!

I came across a Google news article on quantum physics and it just crossed my mind - apparently wait for it…VW are working on a battery with “new technology” which is rumoured to be based on the QP theory :slight_smile:

You live and learn my friend :slight_smile:

[quote=Editor;26583]I came across a Google news article on quantum physics and it just crossed my mind - apparently wait for it…VW are working on a battery with “new technology” which is rumoured to be based on the QP theory :slight_smile:

You live and learn my friend :)[/quote]

Batteries might gain a boost in power capacity as a result of a new finding from researchers at MIT. They found that using carbon nanotubes for one of the battery’s electrodes produced a significant increase – up to tenfold – in the amount of power it could deliver from a given weight of material, compared to a conventional lithium-ion battery. Such electrodes might find applications in small portable devices, and with further research might also lead to improved batteries for larger, more power-hungry applications.
Is this cool or what?

Full story here, very interesting: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100620200808.htm