2018 GEM reviews

Don’t hold your breath. :blush:If it was easy everyone would do it.
There are those doing gear changes. Seems to work ok.

I drove a brand new 2019 with high speed gears that the dealer installed. Speed was great 35 MPH and stable. The noise from the gears was too much for our liking. Still driving my 2018 at 25 MPH and quiet. Would love to find a way to change the controller program.

Hey thanks for the Review. I was told gears would increase noise as well. That’s kind of a deal killer for me as well. Our 1
2016+ cars have a 17/1 transmission. New gears are supposed to be taller 12/1 I would think the taller gears would be more quiet. Dave is working on a Backdoor to the speed now.

Curious: what dealer is selling a 2019 with Aftermarket gears? And would it void the warranty

I am planning on having 12.3 Gearboxes available by September 15th.

Rodney

Have you researched the noise? I believe some are noisy with stock gears and transmissions get rubber mounts.
Why do you suppose the faster cars are noisier? If it’s because the final drive is turning faster, (25-35) there would be no fix.

Who makes the new trans-axle? Specs online?

I wonder if the gears are straight cut or helical.

“Straight-cut gears are easier to assemble and produce due to their simple structure. Heavy-duty transmission casings and shafts have to be used with helical gears for the transmission to cope with the additional axial load, therefore straight-cut gears save heaps of weight which is extremely important in a GEM”

yep. They are noisier though.

The noise increases with the speed, load and incline. But it is an open air car anyway. I still have real concerns about the GEM vehicle not being designed to go faster than 25 mph. No safety equipment except seatbelts, barely adequate brakes, no bumpers, flimsy body parts, etc. Many of the GEMs are licensed to drive on the street, if you have an accident in a modified GEM most insurance will not cover it.

If you ride a bike faster than 40 mph your likelihood of getting hurt increases.
If you drive your car faster than 80 your likelihood of getting hurt increases.
If you drive a GEM faster than it is intended your likelihood of getting hurt increases.

I think your point about going faster in a GEM is well understood.

Gearheads gotta gear.

1 Like

Dave brings up a good point about gear/transmission noise.

New gem owners complained about gear Noise. Polaris gave gem owners a New Transmission and then Rubber mounted the transmission.

Wondering if just Rubber Mounting the existing transmission fixes gear Noise???

I think is crazy that they can’t produce a transmission or gear package that’s quiet.

Also I can’t believe just replacing gears is gonna fix things. My car seems pretty down on power as is. I can’t see how making it harder to go (with taller gears) is gonna make it better “especially” going up steep drive ways.

I have already found my car to Shutter (stall) on steep inclines. I’m sure taller gears are gonna make things worse

1 Like

@BeachguyPVB , your comment about insurance not covering is not true unless your policy specifically states that . mine does not .

1 Like

It may be that I’m trying things that have been attempted and failed before. Learning lots of things that won’t be easy or don’t work.
Gem Sevcon does not let you see much. Uses proprietary DLD file.
I’m not willing to reconfigure a $2k controller, that I can’t restore.
Swapping to a generic controller will work for sure, and allow 10,000rpm.
But:
Needs complete rewire of throttle and all control switches.
Motor and transmission may not tolerate high rpms.

At this time, I’m not willing to do the work. Swapping and rewiring.
The good news is that the encoder wiring, contactor drive, and 35p plug are plug and play.
For testing, the switches can use jumpers, and an external throttle is only 3 wires.

Replacement motor.

The dealer is Bill Bryan Chrysler in Leesburg FL. I bought mine (2018) new there. The GEM dept. told me that in Florida any modifications done by an authorized dealer are covered by the warranty. The brand new one with the high speed gears installed was prepared by them to be sold as a new vehicle. Just too noisy for me. The only reason I want to go a little faster is that at 25 MPH I am a nuisance on 30 and 35 MPH roads here in The Villages FL. to many car drivers.