2018 GEM E4 Noise

Ok. I recommend that you post it as a new thread since regen was just a pipe dream and a tease on the 00-04 gems. Yeah, it’s in the T2 controller parameters, but I found no combination of settings that really did anything in terms of actually having useable regen on deceleration, And that was with help from Michael @LithiumGods, who is easily one of the most knowledgeable GEM tuners out there for the DC drive carts,

and make sure you include all details such as:

• Year of manufacture of your GEM
  • Mileage on the GEM
  • If you have a stock motor or an upgrade
  • Anything else you might know about how long the motor has been in service if is an upgrade
  • Any work you have done or know of being done previously.
  • etc…
1 Like

Could it be the input shaft from the motor into the transmission? They will sound like that if the splines are completely whipped.

1 Like

Good Morning,

Would you be available to take a look at my speedometer, i can send you a clip of what its doing on ignition, please? Thank You

Hey @Michael1 Any Update with what the sound was? Thanks!

No , thanks for asking. I placed a go-pro underneath and drove forward / reverse etc. It’s definitely something internal but I have yet to uninstall the transmission. I was thinking if I do anything further to increase speed to send it in and have the mechanic diagnose the sounds.

Interesting, even though we have different carts, we have the same noise.

My best guess is within the gear box, maybe a spacing between gears that makes the clicking sound when decelerating.

Please let me know if you happen to hear anything more about it!

Of course, it drives me nuts!!

When you press the accelerator or brake Does your noise go away too ?

What oil are you guys running?
Can you post a vid of the underhood/gopro footage? Maybe I’m not hearing the correct noise?
Depending on what you mounted the camera to, the noise will change. It might narrow the area.

The noise occurs when slowly decelerating or reversing. It goes away at higher speeds.

Hmm , I think my issue is similar but different

So a Pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel attached to his d**k. The Bartender asks him why, and the Pirate responds “Argh, It’s driving me nuts.”

2 Likes

OK, i will get better footage Monday

What oil do you recommend AR?

This sounds like a Input shaft to me. The sound is very close to what the early cars experience when the input shaft is sloppy or the splines on the input shaft are going bad.

My question. Has the motor ever been out of the car.

How does one “check the transmission fluid level” I thought the transmissions were sealed

Good morning,

I wasn’t sure how to check fluid levels either, I imagined if there was a way to top off the transmission it would assist the noise.

Good point. I guess they don’t have a plug on the bottom like the mid cars do?

Looks like I need to study up on the late models…

16+ cars have a drain plug at the bottom and a fill plug - 13oz I believe
Pre 16+ cars do not, you have to suck the old fluid out.

Great, that’s good news for my 2018

Yes I can almost guarantee that Oil has nothing to do with the sound coming from your transmission. What your hearing is a gear lash.
If it was a oil related issue you would hear it all the time

Aaah ok, I understand

I disagree.
If lightweight motor oil was in there it will make more noise than 90wt gear oil. Even/especially on backlash.

The local shop here even says he runs a 50/50 mix of 90wt and that thick lucas motor honey. He says it quiet them up right nice. I’m not quite sure what this does to range tho.
(I was actually going to keep this info quiet until I personally tested it first, but this seemed like a good time to drop this tidbit)