2015 Gem Car shutters when put in reverse

Apologies hadawayj.

Thanks for the better description. I just wanted to make sure we were reading what we were seeing. It is a vary odd problem that you are seeing. Now that we have the symptoms perfectly clear we can focus in on this.

Q- On your '15 car do you have a 3 way direction switch with a middle position being LOW? How does the car act in that position?

Observe - As you flip the direction switch back and forth between the 3 settings that the dash pod display also shows the proper setting.

This present line of thought does not explain your first issue where you lost all power suddenly when coming to a stop. There may be a second issue that may need to be addressed.

It might have been your BMS tripped out for a moment and needed a power-off reset to kick back in. That’s why I was asking how your BMS display was wired. If it gets powered direct and it was also dark then it’s supply was interrupted also.

3-way switch with top Forward, middle-low, and back reverse. Forward and Low seem to work just fine. Reverse not so much. But so much for that since I bought and tried a new switch from the Gem dealer. Same problem. I guess next I am going to send the controller out for overhaul. Can anyone recommend someone to check it and overhaul it if necessary? Would like to use someone who can do it quickly and set it up for high performance.

Check the motor first.

When I reversed the wires on the motor and put the Gem in forward it backed up normally. This would lead me to believe that the rotation is not the problem. What else can I check? Keep in mind I am 78 years old and not everything is an easy job.

Do you have an ohmmeter? Not hard to do.

I did get an error code when running the car in reverse for a few minutes at 15 to twenty mph with the front wheels jacked up off the ground. I am not good enough to run it at that speed with the wheels on the ground. Did not get to ohm check it yet.

Error Code 49 - Dealer will need to troubleshoot Motor Controller and/or MotorField circuit.

Jacked it up again to see if I could get the code 49 while in forward. Did not get it after running it for some 10 minutes at times up to 20+ mph. Also tried reverse again and did not get the code 49. When code 49 came up during the first run in reverse the car would shut down and would have to be reset with the master disconnect.

Anyone got a Ride4Fun (D&D) motor for sale in new or excellent condition?

Anyone got a Ride4Fun (D&D) motor for sale in new or excellent condition?

Wait… what?
What has changed and led you to this solution?

How near is Rodney to you? @Old_Houseboater ?
Dc motor guru.

Jacking it up in the front and running the motor in both forward and reverse. Ran pretty smooth in reverse with no load on it until it tripped with the code 49. I think I reset it about 3 times and got it to trip but the runs after that it would not trip. When I say trip I mean that the car would just slow down to 0 and would not run again until I reset the master off on switch. I do not know Rodney, where is he?

Did I see it somewhere that Inwo is making a AC conversion kit? If so, please tell me about that. Like what it is, what are the advantages of the conversion and at what cost. If I am going to put a new motor in I might like to look into it.

Yes I do. High speed high power high efficiency. No brushes. Simple 3 phase industrial motor.
35 peak up 9,000 rpm.
My partner @MikeKC can give you all the details. It replaces motor and controller.
About $1700 depending on details.

Can you send me information on the conversion to hadawayj@comcast.net? Any other suggestions on the current problem with my Gem?

Seems like motor problem to me. While it may be the controller, I can’t come up with a way motor can run backwards with shorted field transistors.
I can picture motor ground faults giving strange results.

I can picture motor ground faults giving strange results.

I can see this in my head also. Maybe remove one big leg at a time and see if it still works. A1, A2, F1, F2. This only works if it finds a ground back to the battery, but there should be none.

Unfortunately- it appears HJ doesn’t want to put in any effort.

You do not know HJ very well. I would try anything and have tried all that the forum has suggested. FYI, it is the controller. How do I know you ask? I have a second 2014 Gem car so I swapped out the controller since it was the easiest to do, The Gem with the problem now runs fine in both forward, low, and reverse with the controller from the other Gem. I do thank everyone for their suggestions and help.

It is a T5? I would think so but might be a T4.

Good job. You stumped me. :slight_smile: