2014 Gem

Good morning Dave, I’m hoping those batteries were picked up. I haven’t heard anything from my friend saying they weren’t. Let me know!

Was laying in bed last night thinking…my downfall…do I have to take any precautions with my dc to dc converter being that I’m running a higher voltage?

I’ll check later.

Most converters work over a wide range of voltages.
The main contactor coil may run hot. A current limit resistor can fix that.

Shipper:
Catherine Wright

D&L Transport

MC # 512088

OFFICE: 615-292-8000

FAX: 615-292-8030

CELL: 615-945-9294

She shows delivered.

Showed up yesterday. One of the mechanics accepted it, time to get busy!

Could you reccomend settings for the chargery charger? Im driving my self crazy reading, thank you!

6s Gel
Charge Current
End Current
End Voltage

28s LifePo4
Charge Current
End Current
End Voltage

They will take whatever you give them.
For testing, I charge to 3.5v@ 10a ending at 1 amp. 10%
12 or 14a are ok. Charger will limit to 1500w.

Gels, I have no idea.

Not their final resting place, still need to do some fitting, but good for reference. I’ll clean up this chain soon so you can make it public.

Hey Dave, my friend has his Delta Q charger out and ready to be shipped for programming. Where should he send and how much do you charge? Thanks!

David Bissen
100 Falls st
Hokah, Mn. 55941

$50 + shipping or return label

25 cells?
#53 is 87.6v or 3.5v/cell.
What year charger?
dqcp may not be programmable. Needs a big black dot on label.
dqct and up are ok.

Out of a 2014, you said a while back that it was fine. We are going with 28 cells.

Yes, dqd* is fine.
177 is 98.5 volts. 3.52v/cell

I believe that should work just fine. Ill forward the info to him and he will have it out to you shortly.

Charger is on its way. I’ll send you $50 through PayPal today.

Looks like I nuked two resistors. Any thoughts?

No idea. What happened?
You didn’t change the balance current by chance?

No, just plugged it in, left the bms settings as they came. Did a sanity check to make sure voltage went up from pin to pin, not that I skipped or missed one.

Plugged it all in, flipped main on the car and it released the smoke.

Do you have another one? I got the resisters off but it cooked some of the board. I don’t think I can fix it.

I may have one. Are you running load current through it?
How many cells?

Load was not hooked up, charge only. The only thing that was not ordinary was B- went to the negative on the controller instead of battery one directly.

I’ve been running these bms for years without trouble.
I can’t think of what could burn shunt resistors.
Resistors and transistor switches connect across each cell to discharge high cells. Only high voltage across those two can burn them.
If I had to guess, it would be high resistance power connections on those two cells.

I couldn’t tell you, that’s above my pay grade! What is a high resistance power connection?

I don’t expect you to pay for something that I may have done or we can’t explain. I’ll gladly pay for another. I have put 3 electric skateboards together, two with Lipo and BMS, they always worked fine, when I built a board with an 18650 pack it loved to smoke bms’s for some reason. Did you happen to find one?

Yes, I have both 24s and 32s.

The cell to cell connections are the one I refer to.
If one was loose or not making good connection, the entire pack voltage would appear across the balance leads.
In theory a bad cell would do the same. Before changing anything, measure voltage across those two cells under load. If you can’t find the problem, will likely recur.