2012 gem car e6

Hey all new to the gem cars. I just recently bought a 2012 e6. Currently needs batteries and motor. Controller is supposed to be good but won’t know until I get to that point. I’m looking to get maximum speed/range but not looking to break the bank. I have been tossing around the idea of converting to lithium since I have to do batteries. Best lithium battery, motor, etc. Any help in the right direction would be great. I have been doing my research on forums but most I have found are old so didn’t know if anything new on the market is the latest and greatest set up before I go buying anything! Thanks again in advance!

I have one pair of Ford Lightning batteries left.
Total for the two 36v modules is 72v 24kwh.
80-96 mile range.

1 Like

e6 is a big car.
This car is going to need a plan.

How is this car going to be used?
What is your vision?
How far do you need it to go?
What kind of terrain are you running in?
What kind of speeds do you need?
What is your skill set?
What is in your tool box?
What is your budget?
What is your zip code?

1 Like

Price for the batteries?

The cart is going to be used to take the family/friends around town for dinners, friends houses and just cruises. The main drag from the house is 35mph but drops down to 25mph. I would like to be around 35-40mph to not hold up traffic. Payment roads is what I’ll be using the most. I also plan to do a lift and tires. I’ve got a pretty good mechanical background from small engine-diesel engines but not with alot with electric vehicles. I would say the tools wouldn’t be an issue. I am located in Maryland

Ok,
You said

Currently needs batteries and motor.

Were they missing? or perhaps still there (unknown condition) and you were just planning on starting off fresh and new?

Is there a timeline when you need this done? or is this a winter project?

Do you have a budget?

1 Like

Correct both are missing. I bought the cart because I was planning on putting the d&d motor in but after doing more research I’m thinking twice. Theres no time rush other than the kids already want to go for rides lol. But planned to do most of it over the fall/winter. When I bought cart I was expecting to be around 3k for motor and batteries. I’m just trying to price out some different options to see if it’s even an option to go that route or just put it back to stock and enjoy!

Lucky for you (maybe not) as you happen to wander into the lair of the guys that pioneered the fitting of AC motors into the Gem Carts.

There are some definite PROs and a few CONs do doing such a conversion. Do your homework. If this is something you feel like you can do, then proceed, learn TONS, and hopefully you will have alot of fun along the way.

Sure, you might get away with only spending 3k on motor and stock wet batteries, but the e6 platform will be very under powered (IMO) and not have a very high “fun factor” for very long.

I think it might be a better path to spend that same cash on a killer battery, sell your controller (hopefully it works) and put that towards an AC motor swap.

How is the overall condition of the rest of the car? Give it a serious look and checkout. There were a bunch of cars caught up on the rising waters in FL during that nasty hurricane(I think ian?). Hopefully this is not one of those flood cars.

Definitely agree with you about spending the couple extra bucks for some more fun! Any lithium batteries you like? I have seen the vatrer, Dakota, eco battery, allied lithium. I haven’t been able to find much on ac swap for the motor and controller. Other than navitas but none for specifically gem car.

Byron has 3 versions of ac motor upgrades for classic Gems.
5kw, 7kw, and huge 15kw (20hp cont)
He only needs to test drive to be ready for clients…
Priced from ~ $1200 to $2000
Gem batteries from $1200 - $3500 depending on desired range.
Up to 80 miles 12kwh capacity.

Those are all drop in 12v battery replacements, right? Those dont alyways play nice in strings longer than 4, and they typically dont have the capacity (Ah) that you will need to shove around a fully loaded e6 with a 17:1 gear ratio.

Fun fact: if you dig around on here long enough, you may discover that some guy named Dave was the one of, if the first to put a custom lithium pack in a gem. It was a custom modified 22s3p chevy volt pack in a lightning blue 2010 el with big turf tires. Fun to drive even with the stock long ge 5hp.

We’re way beyond that now. 10k rpm ac motors makes gear swaps unnecessary (something you should not do for yours). More fun than a barrel of monkeys, a betting pool and a hand gremade…

1 Like

What would you want for them and where are you located??

Batteries still available? If so price?

$3500 24kwh jk bluetooth bms