2009 Gem not staying on.

I just bought a 2009 Gem E6. Has new batteries in it and everything was working fine for the first few days. Batteries are fully charged and giving good voltage. When I turn it on everything operates fine for about 10 seconds and then everything loses power. No screen, no beeps, nothing. No error codes show while it is on for those 10 seconds. After a minute or two I can turn it back on and same thing happens. Before I drive into it are there any simple common problem relays or anything that I should check?

Thanks for any advice.offered.

i would check your dc converter for output . first check voltage at contactor to make sure it shows power , then at the dc converter input and output . doed the screen stay on when charging ?

do you have drop in lithiums ?

Yes I do have drop in lithiums

lots of drop in lithiums cant be strung to 72v . EX: Trojan trillium can only be seriesed to 48v ( 4 12v batteries) . Make sure yours can be seriesed up to 72v . If they are not rated for that high of voltage the internal BMS will shut off Or you will fry the last battery in the string .

learned this the hard way years ago

1 Like

Yes they can. My brother has these same ones in a 72 volt ezgo. I’ll check your suggestion this morning.

thats good . I have seen others buy a full set of lithiums , install them and they wouldn’t work . expensive mistake .

1 Like

It looks like something is tripping the bms on the batteries. It’s a different battery each time but it trips when I turn the car on. I pulled the batteries and put them in a 72 volt ezgo and they run great. Put them back in the e6 and everything tests properly until I turn the key on and it trips the bms on the batteries.

True, I’ve tried to find lead to lithium for years.
Even at distributor cost they are way to much money.
Also they are not serviceable in any way. Such as balancing. How is it possible to balance a series string with discrete bms on each 4 cells? :wink:

I didn’t think of that . If one battery gets low or high it they can’t balance . But the internal bms would cut power and protect it so that parts good . I have checked a few websites . Some show the max allowed in series and others don’t . I was disappointed that when Trojan came out with their new lithiums last year they limited them to 48v. But at least they disclose it .

Update:

It was very intermittent on dropping voltage so I pulled all the batteries and put a voltmeter on each oneindividually and got 12 volts holding. I put them in a series of 24 volts and tested each combination and identified one that would keep kicking off every couple of minutes if connected in series. I can put the other 5 in series and it holds 60 volts. If I replace one of those with the bad one it trips.

I am wondering if it was damaged a result of having 72 volts running through it (like you mentioned could happen) or if it is just a defective bms in it. It did run at 72 volts for for a few days but was only driven about 4 miles total.

Trying to decide whether I should get them to replace the bad one and try again or scrap the whole plan and throw them in my 48v or 36v cart and start over with something like @LithiumGods puts together.

And yes I know I did overpay but was in a hurry to get batteries in this…worked out about like anything I ever get in a hurry on

1 Like

First confirm with seller/manufacturer that they can for sure handle 72v long term .

the other issue is them not being able to balance among each other . After a while this will probably become an issue . You can do work around so probably not a big issue .

What brand are they .

Got the 100ah 12 volts. I called and talked at length with the guy that owns the business. He assured me they would work in series 72volt. He even told me they had 2 Polaris gem 72volt carts their business owns with those batteries in them.

Is there an indication of cell volts and soc on them?
If not you will need to charge each battery until bms trips to balance them. Any dumb charger will work, but constant current up until full will be much faster. Like a power supply.

What ah are they. In all likelihood the Bolt modules will be higher voltage, lighter, and more ah.

Those are suppose to be good batteries . You must of got a bad BMS .

If you decide to go with the extended range batteries . The base setup is 82v , 180ah

You can also Go up to the 96v , 180ah set if you want even more increased speed , acceleration and range .

Wow! This is something new. I bet the use relays rather than mosfets. :wink:

I am really thinking I’d like to get one of those extended range setups from you. I can move these over into another cart I have. What all options would you suggest for the 2009 e6 I have?

The extended battery comes in 2 versions . Standard and high voltage . So it depends on what you want to do . The high voltage will give you more power and even more range . Feel free to give me a call .

mike 239 784 5690

I recommend the middle 22s, if he has them. 24s is crazy fast. :slight_smile:

@LithiumGods is it ok if I give you a call tomorrow?

Update:
I definitely identified a bad one. I can hook the other 5 up in series on the gem car and it powers all the electronics without tripping any of the batteries. I’ve decided to get that battery replaced and use these until I can get a pack like mentioned above and then repurpose 4 of these into a 48 volt hisun sector 1 I have. When I have time I’ll create a new post with my lithium journey over the last 3 months…My first foray included a 72 volt set that caught fire and burned down my barn and all my equipment and tools and then 2 different orders of lithium batteries that never arrived and I had to dispute the charges. It’s a relief to get a set of 6 that only has one bad one and hasn’t caught fire yet…looking forward to what Matt has to offer. Thank you to everyone on here for all of the help. It is much appreciated.

1 Like