2005 GEM Shudder and stalling under acceleration

Working on a 2005 GEM that shudders and stalls intermittently under acceleration. Contacted an expert who suggested the park brake interlock switch was to blame. Vehicle literally would not move after being stopped midride to pick up children and had to be towed. Per his advice, cycled the park brake and it seemed to resolve the issue on 2 occasions.

My questions are:

1, Is this a common issue?
2, What could be possible causes of this symptom?
3, Is there a part I should be replacing commonly to blame for this??

Trying to sell this and need to get it fixed

Stuck brushes. Pull the motor free up the brushes replace the rubber bumper and grease the splines. If you have trouble removing the motor PM me.

It has a relatively new motor - less than 3 years old and is parked indoors. Are you still thinking brushes?

Could this possibly have to do with loose and corroded connectors in system? But then why did pumping park brake resolve issue on 2 occasions?

Bright and tight is always a posibility. Limit switch/adjustment is always a candidate

check brakes and brake cables for dragging.

Still suggest you pull the band off the motor and check for stuck brushes.

Have you done any controller programming changes?

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27965]Bright and tight is always a posibility. Limit switch/adjustment is always a candidate

check brakes and brake cables for dragging.

Still suggest you pull the band off the motor and check for stuck brushes.

Have you done any controller programming changes?[/quote]

What is a “Limit Switch”??? Pic, function&c please??

No Mods

I agree with OH.

Jiggling the brake can shift motor slightly.

Next time use the mechanics starter test. Tap the motor lightly.

[quote=Inwo;27969]I agree with OH.

Jiggling the brake can shift motor slightly.

Next time use the mechanics starter test. Tap the motor lightly.[/quote]

Now the addition of the motor being displaced by the park brake engagement makes brushes more plausible to my mind.

Come from auto world where that couldn’t happen in properly functioning vehicle, only rear suspension packing.

The parking brake limit switch controls the safety functions related to movement of the cart when parked and the enabling of the cart when the brake is off.

It is more suspect when the cart wont move when the handle is down. Bangit down hard will sometimes allow the cart to move. Usually this can be cured with adjustment but at 14 bucks its a good candidate for replacement

Shudder is NOT usually caused by problems with this switch.

Brush sticking, brakes hanging , programming ,connections, and mechanical are more suspect.

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27972]The parking brake limit switch controls the safety functions related to movement of the cart when parked and the enabling of the cart when the brake is off.

It is more suspect when the cart wont move when the handle is down. Bangit down hard will sometimes allow the cart to move. Usually this can be cured with adjustment but at 14 bucks its a good candidate for replacement

Shudder is NOT usually caused by problems with this switch.

Brush sticking, brakes hanging , programming ,connections, and mechanical are more suspect.

Rodney[/quote]

Somebody posted that 2005 GEM e4s did NOT have a Park Brake InterLock Switch