2005 E4 Stranded us

We had driven the GEM about 2 miles and had stopped to talk to a neighbor for about 5 minutes with the GEM on, batteries fully charged. When we pulled away after the stop we got about 200 yards and it made a loud Bang and we lost power… I played with it and it would kind of surge a little in forward and reverse but would not really go anywhere. It also made a second bang that sounded like it came from the rear, I looked at the LA batteries under the rear seat and nothing obvious is wrong.

We towed it home and tomorrow I need to see if I can find the issue.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Tom

Well, a quick check found the problem. It seems one of the Trojan batteries under the bed blew the cell over off, thus the bang, each one at a different time, the battery is bad only showing 10.47 volts.

Is it a good idea to change batteries one at a time or all at once?

were they low on water ?

Not really but it was really hot here, low 90,s high humidity. I guess I need to watch them closer this summer.

watch them . If a battery water gets low and exposes the plates , power can arc across the plates . Batteries are full of hydrogen gas so they go boom . I believe it is the #1 cause of battery explosions .

We live is south florida and have the same problem . It is so hot all the time that water levels drop in the batteries a lot .

Also when you add water immediately charge them .

I had my old golf car blow a battery while charging. New set installed after that