2002 Gem 4 Seater

I recently bought a GEM 4 seater, 2002. It had Costco deep discharge batteries that were crap. I replaced with Trojan 30XHS and am very happy with the increased performance and range.

Issue I have now is the motor heating up. With the added performance I have been driving on the Coast Highway (35 mph limit) and the motor has been getting warm and I smell it heating up, I lose about 5 MPH in speed. After cooling off it is fine.

I have been looking at the Ride-4-Fun 7.5 HP conversion. With the number of miles have been putting on it might be worth the $1,000 bucks to replace the motor. Any experience with this out there?

I had a similar experience with a 2001 4 seater with a 3.5HP modified. The heat build up and burning wire smell was very strong. I ended up with GEL batteries and the 7 HP ride for fun motor, re-programed controler, re-programed charger, etc. If you plan on keeping it I wopuld go that route. I did reposition the front shocks slightly since the RFF motor was just toucking the coil, that was easy, just drilled another hole in the esisting bracket. Good Luck!

[QUOTE=bko;11169]I had a similar experience with a 2001 4 seater with a 3.5HP modified. The heat build up and burning wire smell was very strong. I ended up with GEL batteries and the 7 HP ride for fun motor, re-programed controler, re-programed charger, etc. If you plan on keeping it I wopuld go that route. I did reposition the front shocks slightly since the RFF motor was just toucking the coil, that was easy, just drilled another hole in the esisting bracket. Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Since I posted I have been running the car a little easier and it has been fine. I am not sure I really want to go the 7.5 HP route, but it is good to know it is an option if my 5 HP goes south, thanks for the reply