2002 E825 GE Sentry Regenerative Braking question

4 settings below affect Regen. I focus on Armature current because its the higher current function. I don’t know what the ratio of that to Field should be so some of the smart guys might be able to clarify

FUNCTION 9 REGEN ARMATURE CURRENT LIMIT
(Push 9)
This function allows for the adjustment of the maximum
armature current limit during regenerative braking.
Range 32 to 240 amps
Set 1 to 255
Resolution 0.8157 amps per set unit
Example Setting of 221 = (221x0.8157) +32
= 212 amps
FUNCTION 10 REGEN FIELD CURRENT LIMIT
( Push 10 )
This function allows for the adjustment of the maximum
field current limit during regenerative braking.
Range 0 to 30 amps
Set 51 to 255
Resolution 0.147 amps per set unit
Example Setting of 180 = (180-51)x0.147
= 19 amps
CAUTION: Do not set this function to a value less than 51.
Important Note: The function is used to optimize motor and
control performance and this setting will be determined by
GE and OEM engineers at the time of vehicle development.
This setting must not be changed by field personnel without
the permission of the OEM.
FUNCTION 19 FIELD CURRENT RAMP RATE DURING
REGEN/PLUGGING
( Push CONT 4 )
This function adjusts the rate at which field current ramps
to full value during regenerative or plug braking when a
direction change is made.
Range 0 to 0.255 seconds
Setting 0 to 255
Resolution 0.001 seconds per set unit
Example: Setting of 12 = 0.012 seconds
FUNCTION 21 ARMATURE CURRENT RAMP DURING
REGEN
(Push CONT 6)
This function adjusts the rate at which armature current
ramps .8 amps steps to full value during regenerative
braking when a direction change is made.
Range .001 to 0.255 seconds
Setting 0 to 255
Resolution 0.8 seconds per set unit
Example: Setting of 12 = 0.012 seconds
Important Note: The function is used to optimize motor and
control performance and this setting will be determined by
GE and OEM engineers at the time of vehicle development.
This setting must not be changed by field personnel without
the permission of the OEM.

leave all of those alone . change #19 and #20 to 1 . also drop function #5 by 5 points

2 Likes

@LithiumGods - I’m not sure I’m tracking you on this. Setting 20 is MPH overspeed on my T1. If I set this to 1 I will only be able to go 1 MPH. I’ve been playing with the settings but can’t get the desired effect yet. I want to eliminate Plug Current to avoid heat build up in the motor, but I think that’s all I’m getting because my SOI is always at 100% and so my regen is not kicking in. What value to you set value 14 Internal Resistance Compensation to get the SOI to work properly with your lithium?

forgot your on a t1 , i was referring to t4 settings . on the road and dont have a t1 manual with me to review .

back home next week

1 Like

I have the T4 manual as well. I’ll see if I can cross reference and make sense of it. Thanks!

Mr Vern, any luck cross referencing those specifically named T4 regen settings to the T1 electrical engineer settings?

Thanks

M@

@2002, I had forgotten. Sorry about that.
It looks like 19 is the same T1 calls it FIELD CURRENT RAMP RATE DURING REGEN/PLUGGING, T4 calls it PEDAL DOWN OR BRAKE REGEN RATE.
20 looks different: T1 MPH/KPH OVER SPEED LIMIT, T4 PEDAL UP REGEN RATE
21 - T1 ARMATURE CURRENT RAMP DURING REGEN, T4 TOP SPEED REGULATION POINT
It looks like the T1 and T4 have flipped Functions 20 and 21 from each other.
If you send me your email address, I will send you both manuals. I set 19 to 1 and I’m not getting the effect I wanted. It has made the regen harsh again which is what prompted me to get the programmer in the first place. I’m going to play with softening it a bit and see if I like it.

Just found this… I have a 2002 T1 controller and did the Lithium Bolt conversation, I have a older Ride for Fun motor as well. I am looking for Higher Regain on peddle lift. I have a Handset to change the codes. @Mr.Vern what setting did you find was good for you. I was going to do some testing this weekend but wanted to do my homework before I started playing.

Thanks

I set 19 to 1 and 20 to 1, I get a little regain on lift but not enough to slow me down without having to break. Any thoughts on other settings?

Seems you want the rate one direction and the level the other.

Any thoughts? I am lost as to adjust.

Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been traveling a lot. I believe I set my Function 9 to 255 for max braking. It is a bit too much on the hills in my community and I drop below 25MPH. I would start at max and keep playing with it to find the balance you like. I believe I set Function 21 near 20 for a smooth engagement of the regen. Anything less than that and it violently engages when lifting off the pedal. You will need to adjust this as you adjust the amount of braking to find what works best for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for getting back with me. I will try these settings and let you know what I find out…

on a t5 #9 - 255
#19 & #20 set to 50

It also depends on your trans gear ratio and your overall tire size .

I have T1. With 12 inch gem tires and 8:1 gears. I tried 9 at 250 and 21 to 20 and 19 to 1 and still nothing. I believe 19 and 21 are the same as 19 and 20 on t5 if I read correctly. I will try your settings now

Thanks

What about 10?

I haven’t messed with the field current on the regen. I’m not really sure how that affects it and fear that it might generate excess heat. I believe the armature current is what recharges the batteries so messing with the field is a big question for me. I’ve been able to tune all I want using armature and can definitely see my batteries charging. That’s one of the beauties of the lithium, they can actually store the high current going to them unlike the lead ones which can’t store most of it and the energy is lost as heat.

The Rain Started yesterday and has not quit, so I am going to try again this weekend. I am worried that since I have a T1 Contoller that I might be pushing the AMPS on that Controller a little to much if I turn up 9 and 10 that high… I don’t want it to over heat and then I am stuck with error codes.

Well I did some more testing. and still no reiterative breaking… I had 9 set to 250, 19 set to 50 and 21 set to 50. I went down a hill doing 25 and lifted my food and nothing. Felt like I will slowing down a little but nothing like I wanted… so I set everything back to where it was before I started and figure I should just purchase disk breaks here sometime soon.

You definitely should go for disc brakes. All the difference in the world in confidence of stopping.