2002 Brake Light Switch Repair

Been having an intermittent problem with brake lights flickering or staying on with pedal up in rest position. When I checked continuity of the switch, it was all over the place. It appeared to be properly adjusted mechanically.

So I took it off. First issue, of course, was GEMs use of non weather protected components (like original DC/DC PCB) and you can see evidence of water on the unsealed switch.

Opened the switch (carefully bending the metal ears of the case) and inside you can see the arcing and corrosion on one of the contacts. Cleaned them all up with some fine sandpaper and even flopped the moving bar 180 degrees. Added a bit of DeOxit to both contacts and wire posts.

Once I put together, the continuity was working as new. Back in cart and all is good working condition. Hardest part was getting the nut back on the switch as it’s a confined space and is under load. In the images, the brake light switch is removed and you can see the brake failure switch mounted below. It appears to be the same type of switch. Wonder about that since wouldn’t you know without a warning light that the brakes have failed as your foot hits the floorboards?

strong text

I call that “spare parts”. :slight_smile:

Thanks neat to see what they used for a part, the tools… I never bothered to take the one on my cauck apart, I just used non-conductive cleaner and some PB blaster on it, and it’s been behaving ever since.

1 Like