2001 GEM E825 Multiple Issues

My neighbor just got a 2001 GEM E825 from a family member and they said it didn’t work. Once he got it home he asked me and my boyfriend if we knew anything about them. We found the master disconnect switch under the seat and it was off. we turned it on and it went down the road and back. But when you turn it off a loud buzzing noise comes on and stays on even if you take the key out. The lights, turn signals, horn, and windshield wipers all do not work. Any ideas what could be the problem/problems? Any help would be appreciated.

If you don’t set the emergency brake OR the switch on the ebrake is bad, it will buzz like that. The other accessories you note are 12v which makes me wonder if the convertor is working correctly. I’d also check the fuses to see if they are blown.

Al

I even tried setting the emergency brake so I will check the switch. I will check on the others. I know it has been sitting awhile with the main switch off. and the batteries have 9/14 on them and was surprised it still showed 80%. Is there anything special when charging it? I have read that the switch does have to be on, is there anything else?

Sarah

Turning off the main power switch off will tend to prevent the batteries from discharging by removing some of the system drain. Depending on the type of batteries (Flooded lead acid, GEL, AGM, Li ion, etc), batteries do end to self discharge over time. Still if the batteries are dated 9/14, they’re almost new and it’s not surprising they would still be holding a charge. I SUSPECT the main power switch was off b/c of the buzzing.

You need to look at the ebrake adjustment as well as the switch. If the switch isn’t adjusted correctly it won’t signal that the ebrake is set and the buzzing will result. If the switch is bad, same results.

Good luck

Al

I have similar problem. Same car. Replaced old batteries. Now the car runs great but no wipers, horn, lights, etc. I will replace fuses under hood but read somewhere that there are fuses in dash at 12 volt converter? Any idea where that is or what size fuses it takes?
thanks

If the DC/DC converter is dead the 12 volt functions wont work. Pull the white wire off the buzzer to kill it. FSIP repairs DC/DC converters.

I believe the converter has a 15 amp fuse built in. How ever I have never had one apart.

one more question. Does the back up alarm sound. (intermittent buzz?)

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25217]If the DC/DC converter is dead the 12 volt functions wont work. Pull the white wire off the buzzer to kill it. FSIP repairs DC/DC converters.

I believe the converter has a 15 amp fuse built in. How ever I have never had one apart.

one more question. Does the back up alarm sound. (intermittent buzz?)[/quote]

Thanks for responding.
Backup beep does work.
What do you mean when you say “buzzer” when talking about the DC/DC converter?

Beep buzz = same thing.

If it’s driving you nuts and you want to cheat a little bit. Remove the white wire from the buzzer. Run a new wire from the buzzer and splice it into the #3 wire on the controller plug. Buzzer will only sound in reverse then.

Does the fact that the backup beeper works mean that the DC/DC converter works?
Is the backup beeper 12v?
Thanks again

1 Like

No beeper is seperate from DC/DC converter.

If your handy check if your getting power to the converter with the switch on. Pins 1 and 12 on the converter plug.

[quote=redchevy11;23120]I even tried setting the emergency brake so I will check the switch. I will check on the others. I know it has been sitting awhile with the main switch off. and the batteries have 9/14 on them and was surprised it still showed 80%. Is there anything special when charging it? I have read that the switch does have to be on, is there anything else?

Sarah[/quote]

The emergency brake switch is a common problem. It should be adjusted so that the main relay clicks as the brake lever is pulled up. The key switch need not be on when charging and should be removed to prevent vehicle theft. The master switch must be on when charging as it splits the battery string. The charger should be cycled every few weeks to keep the batteries charged.

Daniel