1952 Dodge M37 Conversion

so my friend has offered me his parents 1952 dodge m37 which has been used on his farm for the last decade. i love military surplus vehicles, which this is, and i figured that since the mechanics are much simpler then todays cars that this might be an easier first electric convert. it weighs 5,687 lbs (2,580 kg), so it is heavy, but the production phoenix elecric suv is slightly heavier (by 200ish lbs). i would be using this for mainly farm work, and occasionally commuting. i just dont know where to get started.
-tyro

[QUOTE=tyroner;6765]so my friend has offered me his parents 1952 dodge m37 which has been used on his farm for the last decade. i love military surplus vehicles, which this is, and i figured that since the mechanics are much simpler then todays cars that this might be an easier first electric convert. it weighs 5,687 lbs (2,580 kg), so it is heavy, but the production phoenix elecric suv is slightly heavier (by 200ish lbs). i would be using this for mainly farm work, and occasionally commuting. i just dont know where to get started.
-tyro[/QUOTE]

I have the same truck and was thinking the same thing.

The truck has a 1 ton capacity, and the transfer case has an open drive flange on the drive side so it seems it would be very easy to hang a large motor underneath and connect it to the drive flange on the back of the transfer case where there is currently a large drum emergency brake.

Could be as simple as put it in neutral and use the electrics, use gasoline when/if batteries are down.

What I don’t know is what motor size and type would be best, what control system and what batteries.

Right now I’m fitting a 4cyl turbo diesel into mine, I planed to look at electric or electric hybrid at a later date.