01 Gem Diff. Leaking

How goes it? New here, but glad there’s a community fot these cars. Anyways, I habe a 2001 e825, and recently I started noticing fluid under the diff./gear box. I haven’t had a chance to fully imspect it, but does anyone have any idea of what it can be? Thanks.

Hey New Guy and project director of appropriately named MoneyPit.
Welcome to the group.

Chances are that if you see fluid under the car coming from the gearbox area if you get under there with a light you will see it is coming from the area where the motor joins up with gearbox.

This is most likely coming from your input shaft seal. You could ignore it and the oil will fling about and cause a real mess inside your motor. You should at least pull your motor and see how bad it is.

Your motor could probably use a dust out anyway. Some people even mark the bottom of the motor and drill a little weep hole in the bottom to let the oil escape out, rather than sit in there and make a bigger mess.

Or you could see if @Old_Houseboater has any of his input shaft kits which includes a new style seal that helps with this issue.

1 Like

I appreciate the info, friend. I will definitely be getting elbow deep in Gem guts here soon.