Would Tesla be better disabling autopilot for now?

There are serious concerns about the Tesla autopilot system many of which are misunderstandings about the situation and the service. However, might it be better for Tesla to disable the autopilot system while there is such uncertainty and controversy?

IMHO it would set the concept back and maybe even cause widespread calls for stalling further consideration and development.

Anything radically new and as far reaching as auto drive WILL cause a few deaths and injury’s before it is perfected and becomes mainstream. We went into space and killed a few people but we didn’t stop. In the scheme of things this is a more profound and complex Engineering Feat than the Space Program. Mainly because of the millions of people it will affect.

I’m old and won’t live to see widespread implementation.However: I predict that in the future it will actually save lives, make travel more efficient, and reduce overall energy consumption per million miles traveled.

What say you?

Rodney

Interesting comments - I suppose on the flip side we dont know how many lives the autopilot system may have saved already?

The company does still recommend that drivers keep their hands on the wheel with autopilot in use - it is not an invitation to go to sleep.

One more accident and Bankruptcy will take care of the problems.

Don’t think so. Tesla is the first out of the gate. Google, Apple, Toyota, GM and others have similar programs in development. My take is that all parties should combine research. Both to insure that the technology is compatible with laws and regulations that have and will be promulgated. Also to spread the risks and cover lawsuits that are sure to be generated.

I sure would like Tesla to make it but you can’t keep losing $5000 or more a car and make it up in volume.

Rodney

I wonder if Elon Musk would do things differently if he had his time over again? He needs the volume in sales to reduce unit prices but the massive investment in the battery factory is a drain on company resources.

I always found it strange that the deposits on the Model 3 were refundable - was he looking to grab the headlines in full knowledge that many of those who paid a deposit would ask for a refund?

Personally I don’t think so. If the Automobile producing entity goes bankrupt. Mr Musk is still a very rich man. I suspect each of his enterprises, legally stand alone. If one fails it will not take down the rest. IMHO The battery business is a sure bet.

He is an egomaniac and hates to lose but doesn’t let set backs stop him. I believe he is a distant cousin to Donald Trump.

What say you?

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31797]Don’t think so. Tesla is the first out of the gate. Google, Apple, Toyota, GM and others have similar programs in development. My take is that all parties should combine research. Both to insure that the technology is compatible with laws and regulations that have and will be promulgated. Also to spread the risks and cover lawsuits that are sure to be generated.

I sure would like Tesla to make it but you can’t keep losing $5000 or more a car and make it up in volume.

Rodney[/quote]

Rodney-You win!! I didn’t know you were going to interject Fact and Logic into the discussion.:smiley:

Fact and logic and business - do they mix lol Just like they do in politics lol