Will Formula E be as popular as Formula One?

At this moment in time is uncertain whether Formula E, the electric car equivalent of F1 racing, will be anywhere near as popular as traditional F1 racing or whether indeed it is just yet another politically correct move to more efficient vehicles. Over the years there have been a number of attempts to create a Formula E championship although for one reason or another they have seemingly fallen at the first hurdle. What is different today?

For some reason there seems to be great support amongst the Formula One racing leaders and indeed some of the teams have also shown great interest. However, the reason why Formula E has taken off over the last few months is the fact that sponsors are prepared to pay for their name to be associated with the sport although there will have to be some form of return in the way of publicity.

This is all starting to take shape now.

No, I don’t think so.

I think Forumla E is a long term project but it will be an excellent testing ground for future EV technology.

I don’t think it’s practical yet… but i can see in the future, if they add something unique to the racing it will be better than formula one… (Speed racer style?)

Between battery pack hot swaps to replace refueling, super efficient tires to maximize range and grip, ect. I think there could be some real benefit to it all, but I don’t know how long it will take to get there… 5-10 years?

i dont think so;3

Formula E is just round the corner! First race is in September. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how this takes off. The FIA have a blank canvas and an opportunity to be creative with the format of the championship.

I like how they’ve introduced FanBoost as a way to engage more with the fans, allowing them to take a more interactive part in the race. whether or not this degrades the value of the championship is another matter! What I really like is that they are experimenting with new ideas.

Once the championship becomes open in the second season (meaning teams can design, develop and race their own vehicle) - hopefully we’ll see a lot of innovation filtering down into the EV market.

I for one am looking forward to it!

Formula E - The Silent Revolution of Motor Racing

[quote=charge2drive.com;21546]Formula E is just round the corner! First race is in September. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how this takes off. The FIA have a blank canvas and an opportunity to be creative with the format of the championship.

I like how they’ve introduced FanBoost as a way to engage more with the fans, allowing them to take a more interactive part in the race. whether or not this degrades the value of the championship is another matter! What I really like is that they are experimenting with new ideas.

Once the championship becomes open in the second season (meaning teams can design, develop and race their own vehicle) - hopefully we’ll see a lot of innovation filtering down into the EV market.

I for one am looking forward to it!

Formula E - The Silent Revolution of Motor Racing

[/quote]

I’m excited to see the team built cars to see what kind of stuff they end up doing with them. I know there are Graphine Batteries in the works and it would be amazing to see those get integrated even if they had to do some charging.

[quote=FEUS;16304]I don’t think it’s practical yet… but i can see in the future, if they add something unique to the racing it will be better than formula one… (Speed racer style?)

Between battery pack hot swaps to replace refueling, super efficient tires to maximize range and grip, ect. I think there could be some real benefit to it all, but I don’t know how long it will take to get there… 5-10 years?[/quote]

I think people might underestimate where technology is. The problem is that these cars are the upper crust of power and push the car to its limits. This is why the cars run out of charge so quickly.

One of our electric cars, EVSR #01, has completed a 45 minute race. The car was completive the entire time.

[quote=EVSR;21548]I think people might underestimate where technology is. The problem is that these cars are the upper crust of power and push the car to its limits. This is why the cars run out of charge so quickly.

One of our electric cars, EVSR #01, has completed a 45 minute race. The car was completive the entire time.[/quote]

oh, I agree, they can be fully competitive, I’ve seen a few do really well in person, but I think it’s the second generation of these cars that we’ll really start to see the crazy differences of what they do to increase charge/discharge ability, increased lap times, better driving dynamics, and so on getting closer to the F1 speeds/laptimes.

For normal cars, Yes, I agree we have enough tech to be compeditive and or better than current cars, but when it comes to the extreme performance of F1 we still have a bit more that needs to come of it all.

[quote=FEUS;21551]oh, I agree, they can be fully competitive, I’ve seen a few do really well in person, but I think it’s the second generation of these cars that we’ll really start to see the crazy differences of what they do to increase charge/discharge ability, increased lap times, better driving dynamics, and so on getting closer to the F1 speeds/laptimes.

For normal cars, Yes, I agree we have enough tech to be compeditive and or better than current cars, but when it comes to the extreme performance of F1 we still have a bit more that needs to come of it all.[/quote]

I agree, It will be interesting to see what comes out in the second season when the companies can innovate and reengineer the cars.

I think Formula E has already surprised many people - both inside and outside of the industry!