Updating 2001 GEM Controller to Handle Chevy Volt Lithium Batteries

Dougl - Are you running 2p?
What kind a day does you car see?
Can Paul run on half a pack?

The GEM gen 4 modules are 4S2P internally but only the 4S connections are broken out. So I consider them 1P. I have a 21S system of Leaf modules( 4S2P ). I only maybe 5 miles a day for 2-3 days and charge no matter where the charge is. Basically charge Sunday evening if I ran it around on the weekend, then on Wed and again on Friday. They are listed as 116Ah modules.

Ah- Thanks.
Thanks for the info.

I think where I got confused was Paul’s initial description of having two identical packs in the car. Dave basically suggested ditching half the pack and merging the 12s together to get 24s. In my brain this cuts his Ah in half and guessed his pack may not be rated very high. ~45 is stuck in my head for some reason?

I’ll go back and review to see where I might have misread something.

He will get more miles with 1 pack than 2 low voltage packs.
15-20 miles

That’s what I was thinking.

@pauldivaniii I have some extra volt cells. I have 2 6s we might be able to pair with your other 2. Also know @MikeKC is looking for volt packs for a buddy. We could probably get a full Volt pack and break it up.

1 Like

knowing nothing, I’m embracing my low performance, low outpur, low cost wet cell batteries. 5 miles at 40 mph max. Cheap transport, cheap thrills. Anyone piloted an '03 at 40+ mph? Not for the light of heart!

Just you. You’re like the Chuck Yeager of the gem world. A news crew will be along shortly to interview you

Any faster and you could end up like Steve Austin.
(or my hero/crush Jessi Combs :cry: )

Imagine what would happen if he hit 88 mph…

Ok, Ok. I’m looking for an old Jet pilot helmet so I can do a you-tube docu-clickbate video certifying maximum '03 velocity in such a riveting way as to squeeze in 20 ads for weight loss products. Hoping for one take, because there will be a manditory 6.5 hour recharge turnaround between takes, which would drive up production costs 2 burritos and 2 thirsty-2 ouncers over budget.

Stay posted. As you wait, do you want to loose 36 pounds in 4 days?..