Suspension and Brake Upgrades for 2011 E2?

My Gem has disk brakes in front, drum in rear. They are factory stock. My cart now goes an honest 40mph, sometimes a little faster. Obviously the brakes work, but was wondering if I should address upgrading the brakes? What are my options?

My suspension works, but I wish it was a bit stiffer. Seams like it is too spongey and feels way too soft when turning. What are my options for upgrading my suspension?

Thank you,
Green Lantern

oh, the treads about shocks and suspension are 100’s deep here on the forum. A lot of great information - do a search and start reading up !!! :smile:

1 Like

Cut a hole in the floorboards. Wear steel shank boots.

Yabba dabba doo.

1 Like

Not too many people say that about their Gem cars. Especially when running 17’s and low profile tires.

Are you running stock shocks or are they some sort of aftermarket replacement?
(pics please)
Some of the aftermarket shocks have rotating adjusters on the bottom end so you can increase the preload on the springs.

1 Like

Just add regen to your controller, let the Gem slow you down and put that energy back in the battery.

2 Likes

40+ mph in a 2011 with a 12.44 gear ratio? That poor motor.

7800!!! Yikes!!! That R4F is tough, but may not last long.
Hopefully that gearbox was switched out for a 10.35.
Hey - GL. We need to check your gear ratio.
Does your gearbox still have a barcode sticker on the top driver side? We need that number.

1 Like

I looked for the numbers when asked months ago. It is not there.

It’s possible that I already have it re-geared. My only basis for this conclusion is when I raced the modified golf cart last Saturday night. It was much quicker than mine off the line. But once we got beyond approx 20 mph, I easily reeled him in and passed him.

Also, I have not looked at shocks, but you can see a pic of the rear shocks if you look at Gabriel’s pic in “Another Lithium Conversion” thread. I did a bunch of research last night on this forum looking at suspension threads. It seemed to me that most of the threads were for earlier model Gems. Just saying

I was hoping to just post the suspension question and have somebody give the 411 to buy a specific product. Problem solved. I can see it’s not going to be that easy. Lol

The NEVA shocks I bought years ago for my 02 were very stiff. Almost pogo-sticks.

Looking at your pics in that other thread shows some stock looking shock/springs in the back of your car. I find it extremely odd that you removed ~330 lbs (switching to Lit) and you still feel like the suspension is mushy.

Perhaps something else is going on. Take a good look at your suspension and trailing arms. 2011 is not one of the designs that are subject to cracking but perhaps you have some rubber bushings falling apart.

If you jack up the back of the car at the frame, how far does it go up before it lifts the wheels off the ground? (trying to judge suspension sag).

Trans ratio

If you want to see what you really have in your gearbox (and cannot find the sticker) Then you just need to count.

Pop off the speed sensor and draw a line(with a sharpie) on the end of your motor from the center dimple straight up like a hand on a clock. Then put a piece of blue tape on your tire at the bottom where it points to the ground.

Slowly roll the car forward(or backward) and observe how many times the motor spins around as you roll the tire exactly one full revolution of the tire.

It will probably spin almost 12 1/2 (12.44) or 10 1/3 (10.35).