Scientist from Louisiana

Hi. My name is Bobby Keeland and I live I live in a small town near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In 1992 I moved to this area from the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory (Aiken South Carolina) to take a job as a Research Forest Ecologist with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, National Wetlands Research Center (now part of the USGS). I fully expected to stay in Louisiana for a few years and then find a teaching job. I loved the job and the area, and so have remained here ever since. My work was conducted for the National Wildlife Refuges, the US Forest Service, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Arkansas Department of Game and Fish, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and others. This work has taken me to Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and The Federated States of Micronesia. And I actually got paid to conduct research in these places. Do a Google search on my name to find reference to my journal articles.

In January of 2008 I was in an accident where I suffered traumatic brain injury (TBI). I was in the hospital for two weeks and then at Timber Ridge Ranch (TRR-Neuro-restorative center near Benton, Arkansas) for two and a half months. I don’t remember the accident nor the first month or more of my time in the hospital and TRR. The injury caused memory problems, inability to think things through effectively, constant vertigo and headaches. A ruptured disk in my lower back has left me with low back pains and a left leg that always feels swollen, tense and weak. I tried to go back to work, but was unable to do the work effectively so I reluctantly quit the job. Now I dream of converting my 1951 chevy pickup to electric drive, ride a Catrike brand electric recumbent tricycle, work in the garden and read a lot of novels (including one on converting gas powered vehicles to electric). BookBub provides lots of recommendations for inexpensive and occasionally free e-books.

My advise to anyone who has TBI or knows anyone with TBI is to seek a doctor who is familiar with the needs of a TBI patient. Most doctors are unfamiliar with treating a TBI survivors, even neurologists. Google American Traumatic Brain Injury for more information.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for sharing this.