Removing right hub

Yes I did notice the slight difference in the diameter of the shank on the bolt. However, when I tightened the bolt with the copper washers, one on each side of the ring, I still got fluid spraying out between the washers. It’s almost like the bolt is cross threaded but I checked that and it’s not. Oh well, now that I know the holes don’t need to be aligned, I’ll tackle it again.

I also checked the copper washers for breaks, cracks or grime and they look good and clean.

Thanks for all your help Al, I hope you didn’t get docked for leaving early;)

Paul

Al,

A neighbor came over and we made sure everything was tight, he pumped the brake and it sprayed out between the cylinder and copper washer. I took the cylinder off and found a crack in the casting on the bottom of the bolt hole, it went halfway into the casing. I’m assuming it was a bad casting that got through their qaulity control guy at the factory.

I got it at NEV accessories, I’m hoping Roger will make good on it and just replace it.

Thanks again for all of your help and support.

Paul

Glad you got it sorted out. I’d bet dollars to donuts that NEV Accessories will make good on the defective part. They’re a pretty good bunch of guys.

And I have a set of used front brakes you’re welcome to have if you want to pay shipping from the Cleveland, OH area. You could salvage whatever you want from them I don’t need them any longer and will eventually just scrap them.

Al

Al,

I’ll send you a PM.

Paul

Here is the link to my procedure to make future drum removal a lot easier. We have now done this on all four of our GEMs.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2619-gem-brake-drum-removal.html