One of six batteries is bad-now what

I have an old Gem two seater and one of the six batteries tests bad. The whole system has been very weird with no power despite an 85% charge, rapidly fluctuating power supply levels, etc. One battery is bad, the others are fine.

What happens if I replace only the one battery with a different make? It would most likely be a costco marine deep cycle battery, but will not be an exact match. All I know about electricity (and batteries) is that you can’t see it and it can kill you.

[QUOTE=mkasperzak;9099]I have an old Gem two seater and one of the six batteries tests bad. The whole system has been very weird with no power despite an 85% charge, rapidly fluctuating power supply levels, etc. One battery is bad, the others are fine.

What happens if I replace only the one battery with a different make? It would most likely be a costco marine deep cycle battery, but will not be an exact match. All I know about electricity (and batteries) is that you can’t see it and it can kill you.[/QUOTE]

you didn’t say how old your batteries are. placing a new battery in the old set will also have problems down the road. meaning your old batteries may be close to dying dragging the new battery along. save yourself grief replace te pack with new.

I may not be popular for saying this, but I handle batteries “one piece at a time.” If an individual battery load tests good, reaches proper voltage and specific gravity, and is not physically damaged in some way, I won’t change it just because the one next to it is bad. We have some GC5 golf car batteries that are ten years old and still work. Our “wet” GEM batteries have lasted as long as five years. These have now been replaced with dry sealed Dekka’s which don’t need water and won’t drip acid on the shop floor. The following is just one mechanic’s advice:

Don’t believe everything the battery websites tell you.
Buy good batteries and take care of them.
On wet batteries, use only pure water with no mineral content and don’t overfill.
Use an appropriate charger that is set for your size and type of battery.
Do periodic load tests and keep the batteries and terminals clean and tight.
Avoid deep dischages and delayed recharges.
Keep batteries warm and exercise them in cold weather.
Use only high quality and heavy gauge battery cable.
If you have a Schott Charger, consider replacing it.
If you have a Zivan charger, consider having the software updated.

Daniel