New tach thread

TI Instructions give calculations to program controller setting for Setting #1

Since the speedometer function already exists on a GEM it may be unneeded. However since this is applicable to any golf cart out there it makes sense. You need tire diameter, gearbox ratio, and pulses per revolution to figure MPH

I’m not touching pin 16 EVER. My T! doesnt have a wire on 16.

I may have damaged my controller when I zapped it.

Also: I cannot get Mileage inputs to stick (48,49, 50) When ever I reprogram mileage starts at zero. I believe it’s been that way since they rebuilt it a year and a half ago.

Before I burned it up I could program the mileage.

Anybody have any input?

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;28033]I’m not touching pin 16 EVER. My T! doesnt have a wire on 16.

[/quote]

That’s whats confusing.

The few I’ve worked on are all wired as per diagram. 14-15-16 to tach.
Using the bdi negative doesn’t seem right. Even though they seem to be common.

There is a thing called common impedance which has flummoxed EEs since forever.

My old Gem had a T1 and used pin 16 for sure. I remember, as I tapped it for a reference point during trouble shooting with scope.
No issues.

That’s where us Mechanical guys have it better. We can take a hammer to an individual component without destroying the entire kit.:smiley:

You EE’s always had a propensity to be uptight.

Now I;m getting that way.

I remember when transistors first came out. We called them 3 legged fuses.

Tubes could take abuse. See them glowing under duress. :smiley:

I have a box of old tubes from way back. I was into the radio bit when I was a kid. Got some #30s etc. Crystal radios Surplus command radios yada yada. I used to buy repair and sell home organs back in the day. when they went to solid state I got lost. Big interest was Player pianos and pump organs. Rebuilt at least 15 of em. Still fascinate me.

Got a 1936 JC Fischer Ampico Grand in my living room in Gulf Shores.

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27771]4834 by my spread sheet @ 25MPH

They can handle 5000 and change.

Polaris went back to the 10.35 box in 2014 because outlaws were burning them up over revving on 12.44’s[/quote]

During testing, should I warn against 30mph with stock tires?
12.4=5800 @ 30mph.

Stock 25mph=4800rpm.

What do you think Grant?
Will aftermarket motor do 6000rpm?

How about if I set up for 10% increase?
That plus 10% bigger tires should get 30mph safely?

Not worth the trouble?

My e2 2008 model with factory 7.0 motor and 15" tires does 30.8 (gps)… with a tail wind ,just after I let off the pedal. 28 lbs in front tires and 24 in rear.

How tall are the tires?

T4 controller? I have a 2008 also.

Max of 26 on speedometer, then holds back?

That would be fast enough for me.
I’ve got 23" snow tires coming.

Would you like same performance, but extend the top limit a couple mph?

[quote=Inwo;28448]How tall are the tires?

T4 controller? I have a 2008 also.

Max of 26 on speedometer, then holds back?

That would be fast enough for me.
I’ve got 23" snow tires coming.

Would you like same performance, but extend the top limit a couple mph?[/quote]

I did the speed test a few months ago before the snow turds had arrived here. They are thicker than fire ants now. I won’t do another speed test until they leave north in May. I only drive on my complex streets… stay off the state roads.

I don’t remember what the speedometer was reading as I was watching the gps and holding on to my St Christopher medal… I will measure the tire size when it warms up here in a few days. Its colder than a well diggers ass (50’s) right now in my garage. The wheels are 15" and the tires are low profile 50 series, so I must have 23" total. I do know that the speedometer reads 16mph when I am actually doing almost 19 on the gps.

I do not know what T model the controller is, I will get you the serial number. I do not think that there was any “hold back”… just ran out of motor rpm’s?

I also would like a few more MPH, like about 7. But., I don’t want to lose my good 7 hp torque pulling power off the line. In cart racing here in my gated complex. I don’t care if another cart can do 40 mph, if I can pull 5 cars off the line on him and just hit the brakes… the race will be over on our fairly short length streets here in my hood…

I’ll be back at-cha when it warms up here in sw Florida.

Good one. :smiley:

I’m working in a tee shirt in my garage. It’s 7 degrees outside, but hot inside. Must be 34.

That’s enough info. 23" must be close to give you +3.

I’m trying to feel the market. With my new 23" tires, I’ll be just right for speed stock. As it runs now, I could use the 3mph boost.

My 2008-7hp is weaker than my 2010-5hp (new batteries). 2008-5hp has 3 yo batteries.

Snow Turd

[quote=Rascal;28457]I did the speed test a few months ago before the snow turds had arrived here. They are thicker than fire ants now. I won’t do another speed test until they leave north in May. I only drive on my complex streets… stay off the state roads.

I don’t remember what the speedometer was reading as I was watching the gps and holding on to my St Christopher medal… I will measure the tire size when it warms up here in a few days. Its colder than a well diggers ass (50’s) right now in my garage. The wheels are 15" and the tires are low profile 50 series, so I must have 23" total. I do know that the speedometer reads 16mph when I am actually doing almost 19 on the gps.

I do not know what T model the controller is, I will get you the serial number. I do not think that there was any “hold back”… just ran out of motor rpm’s?

I also would like a few more MPH, like about 7. But., I don’t want to lose my good 7 hp torque pulling power off the line. In cart racing here in my gated complex. I don’t care if another cart can do 40 mph, if I can pull 5 cars off the line on him and just hit the brakes… the race will be over on our fairly short length streets here in my hood…

I’ll be back at-cha when it warms up here in sw Florida.[/quote]

hey Rascal,

I can reprogram your controller to give you a few more mph on the top end and make it accelerate faster then it does now . my 2007 e4 with a stock 5 hp well easily out accelerate a factory 7.0 hp and a ride4fun 7.5 .

I had the 12.44 gears on my 2007 e4 but just changed to a 10.35 . slowed the acceleration down some . so unless you want to go faster then 34 keep your current gears . also you have a t4 controller in yours.

I just picked up a 2008 e2 ( bought it from a chyrsler dealer for 1900 because they couldn’t get it to run right, go figure ) fixed it . has 9 year old batteries, after reprogramming this little thing flies!

let me know if you want to upgrade yours.

p.s. you think its bad in fort myers you should see all the snow birds in Naples , you cant even drive down 5th ave . cant wait for April.