New "Gem a.c. motor conversions 8kw motor" Thread

It should work fine with lead. There is the extra weight penalty, but other than that it has better speed and power than any of the dc motors.
I believe Grant paid $1k for his blue torque motor.
@MikeKC can quote price for the kit. It’s been between $1500 and $2000 complete.
Smaller Chinese ac kits are available for similar price, but they will not plug-in, nor be custom programmed to driving style, regen, and speed.

Anyone near Mn., KC., @grantwest, or @Troyin909, will have access to programmer.

1 Like

You have not priced AC conversion kits much… Golf cart conversions are going for 3K - 4K.

2 Likes

Everyone should love the change. There’s no way toy drive a conversion and don’t love the difference. It’s a complete new feel to the drive. Anything worth having will cost you something. Effort, time, money.

1 Like

I now have installs in:

2008 E4 - 8kw motor
2000 E4 - 8kw motor
2005 EL - 8kw motor
2008 E6 - 8kw motor
2005 EZ-GO Golf Cart - 8kw motor

Two more kits went out last week -
Two more will go out this week -

I think testing is done, price just went up :slight_smile:

Hopefully this on on topic enough, but when you put in the AC motor do you still plop in that rubber bumper on the inside of the shaft?

No bumper needed. IMO.

2 Likes

I thinking of making the AC change to my 2008 E4 Special edition. Getting the GE 7hp motor rebuilt now and the T4 is good so both for resale. That should help cut the cost. Getting a Bolt kit from Michael soon. With all these upgrade and my 24" tires on 17s I’d be good for a low speed fly by!

1 Like

Are the kits using the original display at all?
Was thinking, can the T4 output to a AC inverter thus utilizing the same display for some details?

The t4 could be left in if you want. We considered, but decided against.
The only thing lost is speedometer and error codes.
Many ways to get a speedometer. GPS, Bluetooth, and bms, for example.

1 Like

I see. I have many tablets that can be implemented for that. Many types of mounts will work as well.

I bought this cheapo doo-dad as temporary solution. Error codes are pretty much the only thing the old display did for me.

edit And I just bought the CanTranslator @MikeKC mentions below. Because I need all the things.

1 Like

So when and where to enter an order?

See if @MikeKC has enough parts for another one. He has plans to pick up more parts in the next few weeks.
Price varies somewhat with what is included.
I know he has offered it complete with the phase cables.

Sent you a PM
@Monkeyron

Hello I’m new to the forum I have a 2000 4 seater that I Iifted to put on 27 inch tires i was thinking of going to a ac setup look for more speed and as much torque and I can get what do yall recommend. Thanks in advance

The older Gems have little room between gearbox and shock.
We should have a review soon of a short 5kw motor install.
A big Pmac is available that may fit, but we don’t have a working program for it. I installed one in a test vehicle last week.
I it works out, speed will still be limited to <5k rpm. What gears are in a 2000?
What speed do you need?

I’m down to the last 2 used S4 Sevcon controllers, then price will go up. Unless we find another source of low cost parts.

1 Like

Interesting find.

• Description

This item has been discontinued from the manufacturer. If you want to make programming changes to your Gen4 you can use the pc based programming kit or you can rent one.

Hand Held Programmer for Sevcon Gen4 Controllers. Not all parameters available in the PC based software are available on the handheld unit. Because of this, the handheld is better suited for fine tuning an existing setup, but not for matching a controller to a different motor than it was originally programmed for.

All handheld programmers available for rental - 1 week for $50

Part# 662/14050

Sevcon Gen4 Handheld Calibrator Manual

I found a source for new S4 350a controllers.
Tell Mike if you want new. Add $350 and I’ll send one to him for programming.
Or he may have a couple himself. Either way is fine.

ps.
And another $350 for S6 550a ($700 upcharge)