Need Help in Central Florida

The Zivan looks like the same version/revision I used to have before it fried. I can check this evening. Anyway, it didn’t have 7-day reset nor did it have a float. It does appear to be set to the proper setting of F. So if it’s not shutting off, something is wrong.

It takes 8-10 hours give or take for a charge to complete. So, depending on the state of the batteries, it might have just not finished. You can get a better idea of the progress of the charge based on the color of the LED, but that connects on the same DIN-5 plug as the temp sensor, which you said was malfunctioning so the connector is unplugged. You could cut the end off the temp sensor cable under the hood by batteries, then reconnect the DIN-5. The temp sensor is not required for charging.

I have no idea what that other battery device is.

Those interstate batteries (SRM-31) appear to be the battery that is co-branded as the 31DCMJ by O’reilly auto and is not the right type of battery for the GEM. They are starting batteries, not the deep draw equipment batteries. Rodney @Old_Houseboater has explained a few times what the issues are, but that battery isn’t going to perform well or last long in the GEM. If you are going to go the low cost flooded lead acid route, you want the Deka DC31DT which is also co-branded as the O’Reilly 31DCM and by NAPA as the 8231.

I will run the cart around tonight and bring the batteries down and put on charger. The batteries are what everyone runs in their RV or Travel Trailers and also used for trolling motors for boats. We did a cross reference and these were like the same batteries that came out of it which were Duracell. So when that DIN-5 is plugged in, the charger is not turning on. I am not sure if that is because I cut the sensor off. Honestly it did not work while it was still connected also. I have a new cable on its way from California should be here this week.

The Duracell would have been the SLI31DC, which is the same East Penn Deka battery (DC31DT) that NAPA and O’Reilly co-brand.

Once you get past the physical dimensions of the battery, that’s where the similarities end. A trolling motor or RV lighting doesn’t even come close to the sustained load put on by an 1800lb vehicle with a 5hp motor. A GEM under hard acceleration or heavy load can pull almost 300 amps. The Dekas are also used in high load machines like floor auto-scrubbers and electric warehouse tugs. FWIW, the original spec battery for the 2002 GEM is the Trojan 31XHS or the Trojan T-1275 . Go look those specs up sometime. They are massive batteries, the T-1275 weigh 90lb each…

Rodney has a couple posts on the issues with the Johnson Controls (aka Interstate) batteries, if you want to go find them and read up on it.

The sensor and LED which run through the DIN-5 are optional components. You can charge with the DIN-5 disconnected, I did it for months until my Zivan got wet in a sideways rainstorm and let the blue smoke out. I never bothered to try cutting the sensor, maybe there was some extra wiring in the cable that is the issue. I didn’t care about the charge light - I could hear the fan. If the fan was on, it wasn’t done. .

Well this is what I have for batteries right now. :frowning: I was told by a golf cart place here in Central Florida that they would work fine. I guess I should not of trusted them right.

Rodney @Old_Houseboater is the lead battery expert, he could tell you more what to expect.

I see it as a perfect opportunity to put in a lithium pack in a few years.

I’m waiting for my 8231’s to die so I can do that myself… :smiley:

What will that do for me? Extend range and what is price to do it? Maybe I should start looking now. But I want to get another motor also so if you know anyone selling one :slightly_smiling_face:

More volts and a better discharge curve. Lighter weight, minimal maintenance. This means speed and depending on the pack capacity, more range.

These shunt motors love more voltage. I’m running 84-86 volts with 6 lead batteries and a custom lithium add-on pack that Dave @Inwo built and with the max speed setting at an unachievable number, I was able to hit 41-42 mph level ground in the longbed truck model w/ stock 21" tall tires, a passenger and a half full bolt down bed tool box before I dialed the governor back down to 35mph for safety, batteries and not going too far over the motor redline.

Put lithium in there and also you’ve taken 400lbs out of the vehicle. I believe @grantwest posted a video here of him pulling 40-something mph uphill and still accelerating in a 4 seater with about a 100V lithium pack and larger tires.

Price ranges from about the same as what 6 gel batteries or 6 trojan FLAs would cost ($1400) to a few thousands for real fancy stuff.

I found a thread on here and someone sells little green batteries so I sent him a message maybe he can give me a price shipped and I just install. I’m gonna use these Interstate batteries since I got them for 70 dollars each retail was 160, good to know a rep with company I guess. I ordered a magic magnet from someone on here also. Have 14 in rims and tires being delivered tomorrow but I think I’m gonna need spacers but will see I guess tomorrow

Oh, hell for $70 ea, you’re styling. Run those suckers for a year or two until they fade. Give you time to learn working on the vehicle.

MM works great on the 02 so long as you use a GPS speedometer. I had one on mine before I bought a programming cable, adapter and software.

@Inwo and his partners sell the green cells. He also has other stuff, but those the most economical. IIRC, when I talked to Dave about an upgrade, I think with 25 cells fitted with ballance boards and you can use your stock charger and no BMS needed.

Of course you need to figure out if the Zivan is working or not.

@LithiumGods is in Florida, he might be able to help out or sell you some batteries also ( Mike is one of Dave’s business partners on this)

That’s the guy I wrote to :slightly_smiling_face:. Charger seems to be working a little high but…will do job. Do you know what this is for

Appears to be a battery desulfater. Supposed to keep sulfite from forming on your lead plates, when that happens the flow of electrons is impeded and your battery performance degrades.

I thought the Zivan high frequency chargers took care of this as part of the charge cycle, plus, if you run and charge your vehicle all the time (like a daily driver), you shouldn’t really have issues.

Personally, I’d leave it disconnected. I kind of feel that these small ones are just snake oil.

https://www.impactbattery.com/on-board-72-volt-nev-battery-desulfator-bls-72a.html

Will stay disconnected :slightly_smiling_face:. I like this GEM. I got this mostly for my wife when we’re camping and things. She will be able to take it to the store of what ever so she can park her suv. I have a 720cc Predator engine and 5 in lift on my other cart. She doesn’t like it because it’s really fast and also kinda loud. I need to install new rims and tires tomorrow and then also will pull plastics and sit and sit getting the clear off then will paint. She wants this up and running by March 20th when we go camping for spring break

I have one set of green cells. 5 x 5s modules.
$1250 + shipping. Includes 25 discrete balancers.

Will this be equivalent to what I currently have or this is better on performance and longevity

No guarranties. Plenty of posts from other members using the green cells.
Cells are new old stock .
I will replace a bad cell as long as I have them.
@JarJarJava runs a single boost pack.
5s modules are low cost and easy to install.
Initial balancing requires careful attention to keep from over charging. After that should be trouble free.
Ask for opinions from other members.