My Red Atomic EV - 4 is a real head turner

[quote][/quote]Hi. I just joined this forum.
I have a red Atomic EV - 4 which I believe is one of the first production 4 seat “EV’s” from Atomic. I have been driving it in the Villages Florida for the last 5 + months now and loving it. The Villages as you may be aware is a retirement community of over 100,000 people which covers at least 6 square miles and is totally golf cart accessible. This is our main transportation to everything within the villages. It is a real head turner and conversation starter every time I go out. If anyone has any questions I’ll be glad to answer them.
Thanks - Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim

That looks like a great vehicle - did you customize the look yourself?

I can see why you said it turns heads :slight_smile:

Regards,

Mark

Mark …Thanks for the compliment. The plates, stickers and flames are mine the rest is stock. The reason I get so many heads to turn is that almost everyone here has a traditional golf cart. When its in the 90’s and they see me go by with real doors, windows rolled up and the A/C running they follow me to ask about it. I’ve also been stopped by people yelling at me thinking I am driving a smart car on the golf cart paths. :slight_smile:

If u don’t mind. Would you tell us ball park price you paid?

I can tell you that the local dealer is asking $14,900.00. To me it was a " no brainer" as they are getting $20 - 25,000 for a "Yesteryear " car which is just a fiberglass body on a Club car frame with a radio and headlights. (I did negotiate a slightly better price) :-).

I agree with this “That looks like a great vehicle - did you customize the look yourself?”

Just the flames on the sides were my idea. The rest is stock. Most people think it looks like either a baby Hummer or a mini jeep. I am working on a black wing / spoiler just for laughs. I am also going to change the horn to either an air horn or Ahooga horn.

Thanks for the question.

welcome Tim… thanks for showing us your Atomic and a ball park price… can you share the specifications of the 4 seat… width… height … wheel base… maybe some inside shots… seats… dash… video… I just posted some photos of the Atomic from my FB site… Tim are the seats I posted here the ones in your car and are they comfortable?

Bob

I have quite a few Atomic photos and videos of the Stallions (the Asian Atomic car) on my Facebook group… https://www.facebook.com/groups/1473547709584998/

I have posted a few colors of the pickup… like this model the best… a four seat in the colors of the University of Tennessee… the dash and seats and the car carrier on it’s way to a dealer

Hi Bob. Yes those are the seats in my car. While they may look like hard plastic in the pictures they are actually a softer foam which does compress when you sit. They are fine for all around driving. (I did add additional seat cushions for my wife and I which we only use for long all day trips due to our bad backs).

Some quick specs are:
Length 100.2"
Width 54.8"
Height 62.9"
Max load 770 lbs.

After the holidays I’ll attempt to send a video.

Thanks for the interest. Merry Christmas.

Tim

thanks for the photos Tim… the heat and air… really just the air in FL I assume… have you seen any great loss of charge… do you have the Lithium or acid batteries… what kind of range do you get? know there are three ranges… the one the dealer tells you about… what you think you’ll get… what you actually get… I’m in the Denver area and can’t go more than a block or two before finding a hill to climb… and granted if you go up you also go down but it cuts the battery mileage…

like all NEV/LSV I assume that it is governed to 25mph… the spedo showing 70/40 is in miles and some other speed… I’m old… don’t seem to remember things I don’t use daily… can you really fit four normal size people in the car… or do the ones in back have to be really small

Bob

We are in the Villages Florida which is a very large (110,00 people +) retirement community spanning a min of 6 square miles all golf cart accessible. This cart is our daily driver. So to go under all the main highways we have rather steep tunnels. This is the closest thing to a steep hill I have here on a regular basis in daily driving. The biggest drain on the charge is the A/C. Yes we do need the heater here in the morning during the winter as it does get into the upper 20’s and lower 30’s occasionally. ( No complaints as I am originally from Buffalo NY and love not needing snow tires! )
The batteries are AGM deep discharge and are maintenance free. The dealer will tell you up to 110 miles per charge, without the A/C I can get real close to that. With the A/C in 97 degree weather running it on max I’ll get closer to 70 miles. Both of there are also very dependent on how heavy your right foot is. It really does make a difference. In our community the carts are legally regulated to 20 mph. ( mine does get there very quickly).

I am 5’ 10 " , my wife is 5’ 5" and we had our friends with us who are 6" and 5’6" or so. The two wives rode in the back and we did not have any problems. I would not recommend this for any long trips as it is a little small but it does work fine. We really use the back seat with the pass through trunk for day to day shopping etc.

Hope this answers your questions. Thanks again for asking.

Take care - Tim

know the Villages well… have a Facebook friend Robert Busby who shows a lot of photos… I’d live to live there… my GEM is my daily driver as well

we had about 8 inches of snow yesterday… had my driveway shoved and the guy also shovels a couple of feet of street… I got in Sparky (GEM car) turned on the heated seat and was set to go… couldn’t make it thru the snow that was on the street… guess my trip was a day early… will try again tomorrow… had the video camera on and was going to give a lesson on driving in the snow… that only showed that I can get really stuck… snow is fun as I have a 9.6hp motor and getting into a side drift is a highlite to a day’s outing…

Bob

Hi Bob

Hope you have better luck with the snow next time!

Can you get snow tyres for Sparky or was it just the depth of snow which caught you out?

I would be interested in seeing more Atomic pictures if anyone has any - they look a cool car.

Greendriver,

Here is a link to the Atomic website for the pictures you wanted to see.

Atomic Electric Vehicles - Atomic Electric Vehicles Gallery

Hope this helps,

Tim

tried again today… made it to the middle of the street… GEM car is a little narrower than a car… with a shovel… Sand and a push from a nice guy I made it back to the garage… maybe chains for next time… again the video is on Facebook… don’t want to deprive anyone of a laugh

Bob

Thanks Tim very sporty looking.

Tim,
Thanks for the info regarding the Atomic specifically in The Villages. My 77 y.o. mother closes next Friday on her first ever home there. Her left arm is paralyzed from the shoulder down. We have been looking at transportation options for her as the ‘golf cart highway’ will be her only mode of transportation. Due to her inability to operate a choke and drive, we priced out 2014 and newer e.f.i. Yamahas. She needs a hard shell enclosure since she wouldn’t be able to roll up the canvas enclosures so that ruled out electric due to the excess weight adversely affecting her range. By the time we add everything she needs, we’re real close to the Atomic 4 seater.

Have the ‘Villagers’ become more accepting of the Atomic? She obviously will not opt for the turf tire since she won’t be golfing. I’ve got an appointment next Saturday at the dealer there to test drive one. I’m excited to hear the range w/ a/c is 70 miles! She’s moving to the North end and we are planning to buy in the Brownwood area in the near future. This seem like a no-brainer to purchase. Thank you

[quote=ssbn740;28961]Tim,
Thanks for the info regarding the Atomic specifically in The Villages. My 77 y.o. mother closes next Friday on her first ever home there. Her left arm is paralyzed from the shoulder down. We have been looking at transportation options for her as the ‘golf cart highway’ will be her only mode of transportation. Due to her inability to operate a choke and drive, we priced out 2014 and newer e.f.i. Yamahas. She needs a hard shell enclosure since she wouldn’t be able to roll up the canvas enclosures so that ruled out electric due to the excess weight adversely affecting her range. By the time we add everything she needs, we’re real close to the Atomic 4 seater.

Have the ‘Villagers’ become more accepting of the Atomic? She obviously will not opt for the turf tire since she won’t be golfing. I’ve got an appointment next Saturday at the dealer there to test drive one. I’m excited to hear the range w/ a/c is 70 miles! She’s moving to the North end and we are planning to buy in the Brownwood area in the near future. This seem like a no-brainer to purchase. Thank you[/quote]

Thanks for inquiring, the villages have accepted them very well. And some other items to consider are the safety features of the vehicle. All Atomic Vehicles have occupant safety cages incorporated into the design. They also have Daytime Running Lights, Low beam, hi beam and side indicator lights, 2 speed wiper with washers, back up lights and beepers.
Another model you may want to look at it is the Atomic SSwhile at the dealer.