My 2002 GEM may not be street legal here

My only problem with the extra speed is they weren’t rated for over 25mph in a crash, that and at 25-30 mph, in mine at least around here in town our roads aren’t the smoothest, you get tossed around like a salad. 25 to 30 is about it for me. Wouldn’t want to go faster in one. I’d rather just drive a real car.

But yeah, cars can come up behind pretty quick. In KS you can actually drive on 40mph roads, there’s only one stretch of road I would take it on and that’s in the evening when there’s less traffic. Same as some 35 mph streets, just too much traffic for it.

Up hill it seems it could have a little more power. I wanted to drive mine awhile before I upgraded motor but I think I may be fine with it as it is.

People stop and stare at you. Must not be any of these around here. Kids on sidewalks say they want a ride as I go by. Getting compliments all the time.

I think the odd looks and the finger pointing are what makes it all worth it…

[quote=tommy;30703]My only problem with the extra speed is they weren’t rated for over 25mph in a crash, that and at 25-30 mph, in mine at least around here in town our roads aren’t the smoothest, you get tossed around like a salad. 25 to 30 is about it for me. Wouldn’t want to go faster in one. I’d rather just drive a real car.

But yeah, cars can come up behind pretty quick. In KS you can actually drive on 40mph roads, there’s only one stretch of road I would take it on and that’s in the evening when there’s less traffic. Same as some 35 mph streets, just too much traffic for it.

Up hill it seems it could have a little more power. I wanted to drive mine awhile before I upgraded motor but I think I may be fine with it as it is.

People stop and stare at you. Must not be any of these around here. Kids on sidewalks say they want a ride as I go by. Getting compliments all the time.[/quote]

RWD- I have a large file on the fed/state regs for LSVs, Also denial by the Feds to approve application for the category MSV in 1998 due to the lack of sufficient additional safety features. The Gem car does not comply as having “Roll cage or crush-proof body”. With the Gem Car you have an LSV that with modification you will be able to go 36MPH but that won’t make it an MSV. Washington Law does not provide specifications for the roll bar/body that allows it to be licensed as an MSV. Where can you get someone to verify that the Gem complies? Have you considered any additional legal liability for the speed modification? I have an extensive report conducted by Oregon State University that might be of value. I am familiar with the reference you have given as well. Again, the Gem is merely an LSV as it was originally designed to be. My Title shows my e2 as an NEV and I plan on leaving it as it was built. PM me your email address and I will send you my research info.

[quote=RWD;30700]dcannow,

I live in Washington state too and surprisingly did not have any issues registering my GEM. I did have the clerk pull up a web site showing the specs of the GEM and maybe that helped too.

Here in Washington, we have another NEV classification that some other states do not, called MSV (Medium Speed Vehicle). Check out these links:

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/equipmt/lowspeed_veh.pdf

Vehicle Classifications and Required Equipment - Washington State Patrol

It is my interpretation that a GEM vehicle in the State of Washington can be considered a MSV due to its roll cage body. The advantage here is that I’ve upgraded to a RFF motor and had the controller modified, giving me a top speed of around 36mph (40mph down a hill). It’s not that I want to go fast in my GEM but there are a few roads where 25mph is not fast enough, and actually feels a bit unsafe. And, I can switch it to Turf mode and have a top speed of 25mph.

Anyone agree or disagree with this MSV interpretation of the law?

RWD[/quote]

I actually ended up in a argument with the DOL here and in the end it was registered as a MSV (I wanted LSV) I also shared the information with them and she very decidedly said it was a MSV because it was not just being used in my neighborhood :frowning: I spoke to the local police and my insurance company, neither of which cared so I am leaving it as it is. Truth be told on a 35mph street the difference between the two makes absolutely no difference if you get hit. With the regen braking set aggressively I can stop almost instantaneously compared to any car I have ever driven, having the additional power allows me to maneuver aggressively if needed another aspect of safety. I have additional lighting so that I am visible beyond the requirement all of which are proactive steps to insure my safety but at the end of the day if a moron runs a red light I am dead no matter what.