Hood & Spat delaminating

use a 4000 psi power washer, it will cleanly strip all clear coat off. then if you want, buff plastic with compound and then wax it will look like new again.Rich

Thanks, Rich. I think I have this Gem sold, but if not I will definitely try it. Beats sanding…

FWIW a 4000 PSI power washer is “industrial grade”!! Most common washers for homeowners don’t get anywhere near that PSI.

[quote=tomarys;22091]Thanks Piper 247. Blasting I can see might work to refinish completely, but I’ve watched the feathered edge that seemed secure continue loosening and delaminating further after a short while. Maybe with a new primer coat and finish it would stop? It would be really frustrating to do all that work (or pay someone to do it…although I can’t find anyone willing to even try) and then discover it is just delaminating again.

I’m at a loss–please post any results from your experiments.

And if anyone can point me toward an aftermarket source for the hods and spat, that would be great.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m guessing the paint over will solve the issue. I think I’ll try it if I can’t find someone with a 4000psi water blaster.

Well… I finally got fed up with fooling with my hood and fenders and took them to a body shop to be striped and painted. another $450 I really didn’t want to spend…

I’m still sanding…

Yep, I had all I could take, decided to let the pro’s handle it.
Besides, I had several cracks I wasn’t aware of when I started, so they have to be repaired. :frowning:

Thanks for the update, piper. My local body shops quoted $1000 for that work (and I was also quoted $1000 for replacement parts), so you seem to have gotten a good deal.

I gave up and sold the Gem (not the only reason, but the last straw).

Good luck, and hope they do a great job.

[quote=tomarys;22372]Thanks for the update, piper. My local body shops quoted $1000 for that work (and I was also quoted $1000 for replacement parts), so you seem to have gotten a good deal.

I gave up and sold the Gem (not the only reason, but the last straw).

Good luck, and hope they do a great job.[/quote]

Hey Tom,
First place I went wanted $750, thought I could do better and I did just down the road. These guys are good, they do a lot of high end classic cars and lots of custom work.
Going to sell mine too. Hope I can get close to what I have in it. I found out after I got it that I’m land locked so to speak. I live in an RV park and the only way out is on a road that’s 45mph. so I can’t even use it to run to the store a quarter mile down the road.

Got my front end back from the body shop today. Still have to install the new plug outlet and graphic design to the hood, but I’m very happy with the paint job.

Piper, Looking good! Sorry to hear you say you’re selling the GEM but someone is going to enjoy owning it when you’re done I’m sure.

Al

Looks good, thanks for the photo.

Thanks guys,
I got to the point where I have no choice but to sell. Took all my savings to get it road worthy and I’m on a very limited income. That and as it turns out, I can’t use it to run get groceries like I though I could because the road I live on is 45mph. so its got to go.

I really researched it before getting my GEM. One of the concerns I still have is that our local community might change the speed limit on the ONLY road I can use to get out of our neighborhood from 35MPH to 45MPH and shut me down.

Yeah, that would be a bummer! :eek:

In any case, I’m impressed by the effort you’ve made to get it “right” and appreciate the contributions you’ve made in the short time you’ve been involved in this community. Thank you.

I’m 80% done with sanding…

Thank you, Its been my pleasure.
Depending on how long it takes to sell, I may be here awhile. Still have a little work to do on it and I’ll post photos when it’s all done.

Hey, good for you. You have more patience than I do!!!

Thanks, but it’s killing me.