Help tracking 72v short to chassis

Hey community. While doing some testing, I found 72v (actually packV) on the chassis. Meter (black) was on B- on controller lug and (Red) was on chassis. Here’s my specs:

  • All pre-2004 harnesses, components, etc
  • Has the recall DC-DC upgrade
  • T2 controller
  • 72v Lithium
  • New rebuild and still in the testing phase. No prior working knowledge of all the components"

I needed to clean up all connections more thoroughly so, I started at the B+ stand off lug with the white wire:
Disconnected DC - 72v still on chassis
Disconnected Relay - 72v still on chassis
Disconnected Buzzer - 72v still on chassis
Disconnected 20pin IP - 72v still on chassis
When I disconnected the 23pin at controller, it went away.
So I’m assuming the short is downstream of the B+ at Pin 1 on the controller.

Any components known to cause this issue? Any guidance or wisdom is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Connect a 10k resistor from B- to chassis. Effectively across meter leads. Chassis is isolated, floating from traction battery.
If 10k brings it down it’s fine. A high impedance meter will measure static, phantom, voltage.
If you still have battery voltage with meter shunted by 10k, then continue your search.

@Inwo ok this makes sense. Im due for a new meter. I think klein makes one with built in low impedance? Prob easier to find than an actual resistor

That’s interesting, I did not know that, but the high impedance meters get lots of folk in trouble. They can read voltage by just touching the probes.

Yup. Klein model MM720. Its pricey but worth not having those headaches. Has 6k resistor built in and design for those “phantom” readings. Thanks again!