Help? Getting Shocked when Charging

Strange deal I noticed yesterday. When touching a non-painted part of the car (rear cargo cover keyhole or an area where someone drilled the frame for door mounts) I get a light shock. Nothing painful but just enough to get your attention. I rarely wear shoes so there’s no insulation between me and the ground, but that shouldn’t matter… Because it’s not supposed to shock you.

Anyone know what could be going on?

Paul

Any connection to anything external? Plugged in? Grounded plug?
If not it has to be a static charge for there to be a differential between frame and earth.
Concrete or dirt?
A neon test light will glow at less current than most can feel. Hold one lead and probe with the other.
A non-contact ac tester will tell you if it’s stray ac.

Or possibly: :slight_smile:

Even though I’m joking, it’s very serious stuff!

Any connection to anything external? Plugged in? Grounded plug?
Just plugged into a GFI grounded circuit.
If not it has to be a static charge for there to be a differential between frame and earth. Cool?
Concrete or dirt?
Concrete.
A neon test light will glow at less current than most can feel. Hold one lead and probe with the other.
Oh, I can feel it.
A non-contact ac tester will tell you if it’s stray ac.
Neighbor has one. Will hit him up tomorrow and post results.
Or possibly:
I have not consumed hallucinogens for a year or so.

If not tripping gfi, the concrete may be “hot”.
I’ve seen it before.
Easy to find. Turn off all of your breakers one at a time. If it’s the charger circuit, strange that it isn’t tripping.

I seem to get shocked randomly on all three of my GEM’s - I am guessing it has something to do with both 72v (98v for me) and 12v grounds.
Most of the time I think I am just imagining it, but I think it is real. :slight_smile:

I am surprised you have not come up with some sort of induction charger yet.

Patience young Gemi, all will be revealed when necessary. @Inwo knows when to be ready.