Heater switch

Do I understand that switch turns off when car is turned off?

Or that it springs to center now that it’s broke?

Whether the car is off or on the switch springs to the center.

Rodney, will your conversion work with my set up? Im a mechanically handy person but definitely not electrically handy?

Thanks,
Jeff

I don’t know what the circuit on a 2004 looks like. I have not been able to find one. I assume you have a 12 volt powered relay that switches the 72 volt power to the heater box on. Can you find this?

What to look for: A silver or black cube with a heavy wire coming in from the fuse block and a heavy wire going out to the heater box. There will also be 2 smaller wires one of them will come from the switch the other should go to ground. This supplies 12 volts to activate the relay.

Lets stop here and verify. This may take a little time. If you find the relay and it has more than 4 wires on it take a picture and try to determine where each wire goes. If we find the relay and the destination of each wire we can figure out a working diagram.

Instruction, heater/defroster install Part #: 1010-00024
Contact customer support for availability at 1-800-252-1698

Possible relay picture…

Jeff

Do you have any thing like that on your cart?

Inwo If its there it would tie into the cube relay that is mounted on the 1" angle under the dash cover. Makes sense.

Note for your info 72volt is NOT grounded to the frame 12 volt is in older carts

I found the relay picture on an Ebay Gem heater sale. Don’t know the year. It’s missing instructions. :frowning:

Once I know that there is only 12v at the switch, I believe I could come up with a substitute kit.

Need to know where each wire goes. (as you suggest)

Or ring out the original switch.

I hardly think they would switch 72 volts DC with a thumb switch

If Jeff can post some pictures it would make it a lot easier.

While were talking I have a Sylvania portable radio wired in to the 12 volt DC converter on my cart. Should I have any supression on the supply?

Thanks guys I will look for it tomorrow and take some pics.

Thanks,
Jeff

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;27166]I hardly think they would switch 72 volts DC with a thumb switch

If Jeff can post some pictures it would make it a lot easier.

While were talking I have a Sylvania portable radio wired in to the 12 volt DC converter on my cart. Should I have any supression on the supply?[/quote]

The 12v supply should be pretty clean. And the radio power supply should isolate any sensitive parts.

It’s the 72 volts that is most likely noisy. It’s isolated and subject to PWM current spikes. The battery should level things out, but something must be killing those meters.

Here is what I have so far. Let me know if you need pics of anything else

Rodney may be able to trace each wire with you and rewire to a standard switch.

My communication skills are not that good.

My idea would be to ring out the original switch, and try to find a substitute that connected wire for wire.

May very well be impossible. :o

Do the red and black wire go right to the switch? One or both?

Ok thats progress. Next up - the small red and black wires are the coil wires for this solenoid. trace them to their source and do another picture.

The red wire out of the solenoid turns into the purple/blue wire that eventually goes to the switch. The black wire grounds directly below the circuit board assembly and solenoid. Hope that makes sense.

Jeff

Ok - progress

Spread the wires on the switch and take a picture. indicate where each one goes by color.

We can figure out the switch configuration when we determine the wires go. Then we can come up with a circuit that only uses a simple switch.

Inwo are you following ?

Rodney

Yes, I am.
You’ve got it covered. :):wink:

I can only think of three wires needed. :confused:

The only one I’m not 100 positive is the purple and blue because it is inside of the harness

Thanks,
Jeff

Possibly::::::::::::::::::::::

I read it the same could be handled with a DPST or even a heavy SPST and dispense with the indicator/ buzzer/whatever function. An indicator lamp could be added to either leg.

Comments?

I’d like to know what circuit board it goes to.
And the function of the center terminals.
It hardly seems necessary to use a special switch unless it has an oddball function. Such as normally closed.

For now that’s what I’d do. Like Rodney suggests. DPDT on-off-on.
Tape off the grd and PB.

Radio shack used to have nice bat handle heavy duty 12vdc switches.