Getting to know my 2000 Gem

I have been running my 2000 E2 Gem at my cabin for a couple of months now.It appears to be in stock condition other than what I have done to it. I use it in very hilly terrain in Bisbee AZ. After reading about the negative aspects of the original charger, I installed an alternative way to charge the batteries. I installed a 4 module 2 amp smart charger in the rear bank and a 2 module charger for the front bank. This charges and maintains each battery individually. Since I am gone for extended periods, the batteries will be maintained and balanced. I leave the main switch off while stored. In retrospect I could have installed a timer on the original charger to restart it on a regular basis with the main switch left on. On a daily basis I can still use the original charger for quick recharges.
I found the need to unscrew and lift the seat bottom to activate the master switch a total pain in the ass. I drilled a small hole in the lever and installed a small rod to the lever thru the seat base with a small knob on the end so I can activate it from the passenger compartment without pulling the seat bottom. I like to leave the master switch off as much as possible from a security standpoint while unattended.
There is a very long downhill run back to my house which seems to provide a decent amount of regen but I notice that the contactor times out several times, so I momentarily touch the throttle to reset it. I can’t feel any regen but the state of charge read out indicates it is working. Speaking of that, the little readout is a total pain since it alternates off and on while driving forcing me to stare at the readout while driving and waiting for it to toggle. I am thinking of installing a stand alone 72 V DC gage that will give me a separate way to judge overall battery state of charge–any thoughts?
I am running relatively new lead acid batteries and even running steep inclines I can cruise around town for several hours and never get below 80% charge, which surprises me if true.
Other than the need to front disk brakes, I am very happy overall !

Interesting solution!

I switched to lithium, but did add that external gas gauge you mentioned to see without key. was under $20 ebay 162552573978 accurate to within few volts, sealed. wired to back of contactor, just added nuts to exposed studs thru back. Added momentary push switch to prevent drain.

How is that new SDI pack working for you @Voltron ?
I don’t think I saw how you finished it off?
What BMS did you install on it?

@next2pool - Great that your car has been working for you. It’s not easy to get an early car (especially a 00) car to work in the hills. It probably has a 8.9 gearbox(level street gears) which is the lowest of the group. What is saving you is the small tires. Don’t go bigger.

Yes, the SOC is difficult to get right. Many here just use pack V as a better judge on range level.

Pack works great- thanks. I’ll take a pic, easy to locate in eL model- could fit a second one!

No bms yet- still need to get one. Cells are staying within .002 V so far.

Yikes!!! No BMS?
What are you charging with?