GEM - 1% per hour battery drain - Why?

Thanks for any help. I have had a 2002 GEM with zivan charger, 310 miles last year and probably 50 charges with new batteries - Range is good but just in the last week - I notice that unless I turn off the Kill switch, I can change to full charge - says 100% and if I let it set there, for 24 hours, it will show about 80% with lights, wipers not on. There is a battery drain- all batterys show 12.71 to 12.74 when charged and at 80% show 12.51 to 12.56.

Also, on another matter, I check water every month and I haven’t had to fill any cells since I bought the batteries 9 months ago. That doesn’t seem right to me. I can hear them bubbling when charging. What do you think? thanks for your help

[QUOTE=sam62;1336]Thanks for any help. I have had a 2002 GEM with zivan charger, 310 miles last year and probably 50 charges with new batteries - Range is good but just in the last week - I notice that unless I turn off the Kill switch, I can change to full charge - says 100% and if I let it set there, for 24 hours, it will show about 80% with lights, wipers not on. There is a battery drain- all batterys show 12.71 to 12.74 when charged and at 80% show 12.51 to 12.56.

Also, on another matter, I check water every month and I haven’t had to fill any cells since I bought the batteries 9 months ago. That doesn’t seem right to me. I can hear them bubbling when charging. What do you think? thanks for your help[/QUOTE]

could be some misc small thing like a radio not turning off all the way or something?

Thanks for replying. No, it is just a stock 825. Also, it just started one week ago and I didn’t make any additions to it. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I was thinking about it a bit more… keep an eye on the power drain… the batteries could be effected by the cold weather?

Thanks for staying involved. I’m in sunny San Diego. If I turn use the Kill switch, no drain. I’m wondering if the charger or another electronic device is causing the drain. What steps do you think I can do to isolate it?
thanks

If you have an Ammeter, you can test several spot in the electrical system to see where current is going. If there is no current flow from the pack, then your pack is discharging itself. i do not know how long those batteries are supposed to last, but if they are self-discharging it can show that they are getting old.

Thanks, I’ll try that

had same problem. also turned off the main switch. just finished 22 lithium bat switch. this is totally different. I live in SD

I moved my switch outside nest to the charger inlet. If i’m not charging I shut it off. Battery pack lasts longer.

I have two gem cars 2002 models and they both loose 20 % of their charge overnight if I leave the kill switches on. there seems to be no drain at the 72 volt terminals, I am thinking the drain is in the 12 volt circuits. If some one sends me a circuit diagram ,I will try to find the drain circuit for all. Both my cars have new batteries. If I have the kill switches open the batteries only drop 1% in over a week.

I think I might have solved the problem. On the first car one of the new batteries had a bad cell, battery was only at 10.5 volts. the battery pack has stayed at 100% now for 24 hours with the kill switch on. Car # 2 also has a battery with a low voltage cell, and it is causing the charger to do strange things. That is also a brand new battery. I think if I replace that one it will solve the problem thanks.

I thought mine was a bad battery. It still draws down if I leave the disconnect closed. the batteries are drawing .2 amps with the switch closed. I can’t seam to find the load that is causing the draw down. I keep thinking it might be the 12 volt converter load, but I can’t seem to prove it. I will let you all know if I find the circuit…