Fully Electric NEV

I’m fairly new to this vehicle concept, so I apologize upfront for my questions as I conduct research and ask opinions from others in a field I know little about.

However, given the specific demographics associated with these specific vehicles, how likely is it that they will eventually become widely used? What roadblocks to implementation do you feel will need to be overcome first? What role do you think the government could or should make to encourage this innovation?

NEVs are established pretty well in most parts of the United States. All major Golf Cart Manufacturers have 1 or more models available. Legislation in most states is mature and for the most part consistent across the country,

Chinese manufacturers have many models in production. Many are very car like. At this point in time it is very similar to the start of the automobile business in the last century. There have been several start ups that have made a few cars then went bankrupt.

IMHO the next wave may be MEVs or "Medium Speed Electric Vehicles. (45 MPH)

This will be a bigger deal because it’s not really feasable to upgrade a Golf Cart to that status. They will have to be designed from the ground up. This might not happen for a long time, if ever.

Big deal is crash worthiness and braking ability.
Rodney

[quote=cmethven;31734]I’m fairly new to this vehicle concept, so I apologize upfront for my questions as I conduct research and ask opinions from others in a field I know little about.

However, given the specific demographics associated with these specific vehicles, how likely is it that they will eventually become widely used? What roadblocks to implementation do you feel will need to be overcome first? What role do you think the government could or should make to encourage this innovation?[/quote]

The only addition I make to Rodney’s response would be for you to access the State of Maryland laws governing NEV/LSV operation in your state. Maryland’s rules are consistent with the rest of the Country. I compared them to my state of Washington as I have licensed my Gem Car here within the last year. I suggest you stay away from the purchase of a modified golf cart unless it was built as NEV compliant by the manufacturer. It will also help in your research to review this forum for additional information as it is a problem solving resource. Also, pay close attention to any post from Rodney the “Old Houseboater” as he won’t steer you wrong.:clap2:

I overlooked your asking if the government should be involved with "this innovation"
I vote "H___ No. It will have a better chance if the politicians and bureaucrats stay out of it!!!:mad::mad:

MEV legislation is starting in a few areas but hasn’t gained much traction. This in part, due to the lack of available vehicles that meet the proposed requirements. It’s tough for a manufacturer to meet requirements that are not complete.

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

Rodney

I think they thrive in places where they are useful – which means newer developments with roads built with NEVs in mind, or older places with smaller streets/speed limits.

I first learned about NEVs at Jekyll Island, GA, where GEM cars are popular. I happen to live in an older neighborhood that is well connected with roads <35MPH – we get a lot of use out of ours.