Detroit Electric sports car launch

[QUOTE=Editor;14488]While Detroit Electric has been dormant for over 70 years it is set to spark into life on 20 April with the launch of its first electric sports car. The launch will be at the Shanghai Motor Show and while the company is unwilling to give too much away at this moment in time, some of the snippets available seem to suggest a very impressive vehicle is coming our way.

Will Detroit Electric finally give some competition to Tesla Motors? Or is the company setting itself up for a major fall?[/QUOTE]

competition is always good. However, its going to be the purchase price that will ultimately dertermine a companies success as well as the battery range. I like the concept of an electric vehicle. at the current prices, no way I can afford to buy. therefore, I will consider a conversion. my motrorcycle can be seen in the ev album site and it set me back just under 3 grand in total.:yo:

Hi Barntech60

How much of a reduction in % terms do you think we need to see in electric car prices before they break into the mass market?

Do you agree with the recent US survey which suggests that the vast majority of US motorists will not buy an electric car until journey capacity on one full charge is around 300 miles?

[QUOTE=Editor;14504]Hi Barntech60

How much of a reduction in % terms do you think we need to see in electric car prices before they break into the mass market?

Do you agree with the recent US survey which suggests that the vast majority of US motorists will not buy an electric car until journey capacity on one full charge is around 300 miles?[/QUOTE]

I didn’t see the recent survey.at some point in time battery technologies will improve to easily allow 300 plus miles at a reasonable cost. the local GM dealer here had a new Volt on display. the price was 51 grand. way to much for my wallet. here in Canada, we always pay too much for goods and services.

as for the % reduction, 30% in purchase price. as gas prices increase, more interest in electrics will prevail.:yo:

Hi Barntech60

If money was not an issue what would your electric car of choice be?

[QUOTE=Editor;14515]Hi Barntech60

If money was not an issue what would your electric car of choice be?[/QUOTE]

If money wasn’t a problem, I would either go for the Tesla model S or the model X. these two cars have range availability that the Leaf does not offer at this time. as far as the chevy volt goes, I would not waste my money. :yo:

I have never seen electric sports cars before but eager to watch them atleast on youtube. Good for environment and a new breeze in the sports industry.

Hi Car

Check out this little beauty - faster than a Porsche Cayman in a 1/4 mile drag race!

[ame=http://youtu.be/YpODyHiWs7c]EpicEV Torq Roadster - YouTube[/ame]

Looks good, and it reminds me of the old formula one cars when it first started out.
Thanks for the video @Editor.

I thought you might like that video lol

Many people will suggest that electric sports car technology will never get anywhere near the general electric car market, but this is not the case. Many of the everyday things we take for granted in the mass car market originated from the likes of Formula One many years ago in relation to aerodynamics, technology, etc.

Sports cars are perfect environment in which to test new technology, aerodynamics and an array of other things which could impact the efficiency of general mass-market cars going forward.

I’ll be excited to see where these go. I really like that 3 wheeled EV though, really neat looking and looks to have good performance.

Hi FEUS

When I first looked at that three wheeled car my first impression was, that cannot be safe? Then you find out it can do 0 to 60 mph in four seconds compared to the Porsche Cayman which takes 5.1 seconds. Question answered!

I wrote about that.

Detroit Electric aims to be the next Tesla

It seems to be that Albert Lam and Detroit Electric are attempting to do a Tesla-like introduction to the EV market. Not surprising since he worked for Lotus.

I wonder if they will be successful.

Everybody seems to be pitting the likes of Tesla against Detroit Electric when in reality the market is more the large enough for two major players. The connection with Lotus is something which will obviously put the Detroit Electric team in a very good position for the future.