DC to AC? Retrofit an old GEM?

I’m seeing that the new (horribly ugly) GEMs converted to AC motors and 48v packs. What is everyone’s thoughts on this? If someone wanted to play with it someone essentially swap some of the main components on a “Classic” GEM with the new “Ugly Duckling” motor, controller, charger and have a 48v GEM? I know very little of electrical engineering.

The new GEMs are AC?

Would be very expensive. Possible gains are range and motor live between servicing.
Also there is little information on programming at this time. POLARIS is holding TIGHT control over servicing and programming. Converting to lithium is the most bang for the buck it you are going to live forever and keeping the cart. After considering all option I am going for a set of Trojan T1275’s

Yes 48v AC set up. From what I hear AC motors are just all around better.
For a 72v AC motor and 500amp controller Prestige golf carts told me $2700
not installed.

For about $1400 you can go with lithium. I just finished mine this afternoon and am trying to work out a bug with the reprogrammed charger. It doesn’t like the thermal sensor to be hooked up, but I got no LED indication when I unplugged the 5 pin harness with the thermal sensor in it.

Todd did you install the BMS yet. That’s my next task.
Troy

Lithium will be a must when it’s time. Couldn’t a controller and motor essentially be taken out of newer GEM and put in an older one? My thoughts are if a wrecked one was found. What else would be needed?

Isn’t your’s the lithium DQ?
No sensor used.
White wire is enable. Connect white wire to B- to turn on charger.
Or white wire connects thru my dongle to BMS-24.
Then bms turns charger on and off until full and balanced.

I’ve been researching Gem to AC.
Found 72v motor and controller.
High voltage is better. Polaris went backwards if 48v.
The only thing tough about a controller transplant is losing the controller to Gem display handshake.
As much better AC is, not worth the trouble. IMHO

That would make it ok.
Do a frame/body transplant.

The 2016(Not classic)-Current gems use the 48v system and either 4 -12v Flooded or agm batteries 4-12v or 8 -6v. They use a Gen4 sevcon controller in conjuction with the Polaris VCM made by Bosch. The AC motor is 5kw for e2 and e4 only; 6.5kw for e2, e4, e6, and eL XD; or 7 HP AC for eM1400; and Ranger EV 30 HP AC. The Ranger EV takes 8 -12v batteries which were split into two series and then connected in parallel to double the AH! Alternating current is supposed to be more efficient thereby extending battery range.

edit: The controller is the size 4 model

Ac is good, but don’t lower the voltage.
I posted a link to the ac parts previous if you search. Think is was a couple $k for motor and controller.