Battery Charger Reprograming

I am in the process of converting my 2007 Gem E2 from Lead Acid battery to Lithium. I have 24 - Docan Power 3.2 Volt 230 Amp (Lifepo4) batteries. I am using a Daly 24s 72v 100a BMS. I figure that I should have a bit more than16kw of power. Do not know the range but thinking 50+ miles.
My battery charger is a DeltaQ (PN# 912-7200-01) and it does have the black dot. I tried to manually reprogram to lithium but it does not have the lithium algorithm installed. It is currently set on a Trojan 30/31 algorithm.
How can I reprogram charger to a Lifepo4 or can it be reprogrammed? Not sure exactly what voltage it should be set at also. I am thinking 84 volts or 3.5 volts per cell.
Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reply so fast! I do need the DeltaQ reprogramed for the lithium battery algorithm. Why don’t you think the 100 amp BMS won’t work? If I pulled full capacity of the BMS it would equal 100 amp or 7200 watts continuous which is a lot of power. Also the Daly BMS has a momentary surge up to 150 amp. What would or do you suggest?

200a continuous 350a max at a minimum. This is for a Gem correct? 350 amp controller.

100a sounds way too light.
If I recall correctly, a few actual car test with 200a BMS would occasionally trip. These things pull more power than you may think.
Usually this happens at the most inconvenient times (pulling out in traffic) You DON’T want that to happen.
350a is now the norm that the big motor guys are running. Why build an awesome power pack and hobble it by creating a choke point that will cause problems with future mods?

You are correct but 200 amp is not enough. I put my amp meter on the main positive lead from the battery. Drove around the block a couple of time, driving up a hill and going maximum speed. I pulled 256 amps! I am shocked, had no ideal it used that much amperage.

Y- If I recall the 200’s would handle momentary surges of 250 or so. But even that is not enough. (not good to run that close to the edge).
Load the car up with people and find a hill and that 256 is no longer a momentary surge!

Now- Start looking at all those other drop in solutions and tell me how they work with current limits of 100a?

1 Like

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I did some testing and my 2007 Gem E2 and it pulled 256 amps. I just ordered a 500 amp BMS for extra cushion. You are right about the choke point and having a plethora of power that I can not use. You guys are awesome!!

1 Like

Do you know by chance approximately how much power a Gem uses per mile in watts? I know there are a lot of variables. My Tesla M3 uses approximately 240wH per mile give or take. Trying to compute the range with a 16,560 watt pack.

That is going to depend on where you live. My Telsa M3 averages about 300/320 but I am in the midwest.

There is an entire thread talking about Watt per miles, look around a little bit but in short, it is going to vary. But I think there are some good averages.

I must correct my myself, I just looked at Teslafi and for the month of March:
276 Wh/Mile

So much for my working theory about the air being thicker in the MidWest.
Either that or all the bugs are slowing you down.

It was only a theory…

You must have a newer M3. Mine is a September 2018 that was suppose to get 307. The most I ever got was 302 miles per charge. Currently, fully charged about 285 miles (Battery degradation). I was wondering approximately what Gem owners get. My 2007 E2 has a Ride-4-Fun 8.5HP Motor, I did reprogram the motor controller a few years ago. I have never tracked to see power consumption or watt per mile. I will in the future.

It is the bugs in the South! We all carry a extra wide putty knifes to increase our mileage!!

Yes, I know - like I said there are lots of threads on that topic
I have the 7248th M3 made - March of 18. Currently at 298 max miles. 60,000 miles driven.

I’ve recently did a road trip to the mountains in Georgia. 1546 miles at 75 mph all in Ap (only parts where wife was driving she was going 90mph)

AC set in 72 so when it was colder the heat was on and when it was hotter the AC was ON,

Used 500kWh

Model S Plaid

Yea, the mountains are killers, well one side of them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That explains everything you have the Plaid! Hard to keep your foot off the pedal :grin:

1 Like