2016+ High voltage conversion… successful!✅

@LithiumGods get a head start by downloading the free software. @djgabriel2004 may be able to help with the process. I have an extra Sevcon dongle if you are going all in. You can borrow it if you like.

1 Like

I haven’t tested it yet, grant told me he was able to do it

What did you use for constant 12v? I just thought of it. You didn’t use the dci charger like I did.

Found the same sevcon style dc dc converter but capable to go up to 120v

Here the specs

its almost plug and play. There’s an easy mod that needs to be done (jump the 4th and 5th pin) to make it work.

1 Like

I thought the new Gems needed a battery for 12v dc to start, and the 12v converter came on with the key. Do you have a 12v battery?

Reason for asking. Thinking of buying a bunch of these surplus 80v 300w converters. Not sure if they work without a constant 12v out.

5 wire plug in the Gem?

I do have a 12v battery, the 5th pin is “enable” I jumped it to +in
The original dc dc has 4 pins, the gem cuts the input power when the ignition is turned OFF.
In this case it works the same way. With the 5t pin jumped

Don’t buy them if they are the part 00010011. I’ve read that Polaris replaced them because they used to catch on fire.
I can give you the name of the guy I bought it from.

You will need the 5 pin connector too

These are not Gem parts. Sevcon 622711202.
The only car that I did, did not have the aux. battery. It used a tap from traction battery #1. So I used the dci 12v always on output.
As I’m out of chargers, looking for another way to get 12v to key.

$75 without plug.
“Can be used to charge a battery” :slight_smile:

It should work, Mine is 500w, I know you like the plug and play things, find a female and make a harness from 4 to 5 pin.

Yea it charges the battery (13.8 when ignition is ON)

I’ve a charger left, brand new if you need it,

I have 2 actually

A dci and a Chinese one 30A (96v non canbus)

Well I have 3 actually… the other one is can enabled so we can change voltages. But I might use it in parallel with the one I have installed now.

Ok I think I have 4… with the deltaq 48v I took from the 2016+ :rofl:

Damn

I’m always short of 48v chargers.
I still need a solution for the non 12v battery cars. Upgrade them first, maybe. Add one relay and a battery, I guess.

My 2016 e2 had the adaptor on it. The other way iirc. Must have been an upgrade or production change.

the 5th pin will turn ON the converter if connected it to B+. In that case It will be always ON like the Dci always on Not sure what’s the dci idle consumption, this is 85mA it should be similar IMO.

No need a battery IMO

Unless you want a battery, in that case Iwould go with a Relay like you mentioned

Not good imo to have dc circuits live all the time. Maybe a tiny dc-dc at the battery, replacing the 12v tap is simplest. Or another on of these low cost Sevcons. That means two per car. :slight_smile:

Yes I wouldn’t do it that way. I thought about that because you mention you do that with dci, always ON 12v isn’t that how DCI works?
I thought the 12v was always ON and the GEM was Switching the 12v side

It would be better if the DCDC is Not ON all the times

In my case it turns off with the Ignition. the old one used to turn off with the ignition as well. But I don’t know how it works with non Battery cars.

Non battery cars use a 12v tap from main battery. Not possible with lithium, so correct, we use dci.

Got it, seems like a solution is needed for Non aux battery and Lithium conversion.

In my case, the 12v aux battery was connected in parallel with Traction battery #1 thru the BMC so I thought it was receiving the charge from that battery however after connecting the new Dc DC with the original pins (+ enabled jumped) I see the voltage at the terminals of the aux battery going from ~12v to 13.8v when the ignition is turned ON.

The big red wire that used to got to Positive battery #1 is disconnected.

Yes, that’s part of the upgrade. Mine is still connected.

1 Like